Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,505   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Removing leatherette residue?

Okay so I pulled the nasty old leatherette off a kodak 3A that was given to me. But now there are, don't know how to best describe it so bare with me, "spots" on the wood. There are glue/leatherette residue. I want to know the best way to get rid of these. Sanding works, but takes for ever. And I'm going to stain it, so it does matter if they are there, I think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Home Depot, $16.88 orbital sander, and a light touch with about 100 grit sandpaper, stop often and check to make sure your not rounding things off that are suspose to be round, it takes a bit of practice, but once you get the touch, you will be amazed how quick it goes.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I think I have one of those buried somewhere. But I was kinda hopeing there was a lower tech (i.e. no powertools) way of doing it, that didn't take years. The idea of doing it all by hand was appealing. Also should I be woried about what they treated the leatherette with getting airborne when I sand?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always use a dust mask when sanding any of the older cameras, the last couple I have done the residue actually reminded me of a shellac based glue material or varnish, but I suspect it was a dried out rubber glue solution, I have not found a quick and easy way to do it by hand without using a heavy grit paper that creates heavy scratches in the wood surface...you could probably come up with a solvent that would disolve the residue, but I would suspect that it would penitrate the wood, leaving a base that could be difficult to stain correctly.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Try naphtha. I find it removes most glues and it's safe for degreasing most wood finishes.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not tried it, so treat this as just a suggestion; try on an unimportant place first; I accept no responsibility; etc etc etc etc.... Would paint stripper do the job? The kind that is a paste that you spread on and cover with plastic film for half an hour or so.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scraper blade. It's a hardened piece of steel that you put a burr on one edge of. Done correctly, which isn't too difficult, it will take a nice fine shaving off. DON'T just use a cheap paint scraper from Home Depot though. Scraper blades are cheap. The trick is putting a burr on it. It takes a little practice, but I learned it in about 15 to 20 minutes. I use them all the time. And best of all, no dust. Look under scraping on the woodowrking portion of www.leevalley.com

Also, using a stripper will probably tak off the residue, but the wood itself will probably be discolored where the residue was. Scraping will provide a clean, even surface of fresh wood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My old stand by for glue residue is still WD-40! It and the recommended scraper technique should work! Try any of the posted suggestions on a small out of the way spot, where the whole world won't see it if it gums things up.

Charlie............................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The original glue was probably contact cement, so try some contact cement solvent, or lacquer thinner, its basically the same stuff. Don't get it on your hands though, and don't breath the vapours.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    Scraper blade. ... Look under scraping on the woodowrking portion of www.leevalley.com
    I second this suggestion.

Good luck.

David
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin