Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,235   Online: 828

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Who makes Porters bellows cloth?

Hello:

I use Porters bellows fabric for making bellows. Anybody know of a different source for opaque, flexible, thin, and less expensive bellows cloth?

Thanks
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't made a bellows yet, but I've been looking into it lately. I'm assuming your talking about Porters 'Darkroom Cloth', I didn't see anything called bellows cloth there.

I have heard of this used as both the inner & outer linings of the bellows. More than one person has said that it was hard to find a glue that sticks well to Porters dark cloth, others said they had no problem using the Dupont spray-on glue. What is your experience, and how do you use it?

Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics (owfinc.com) has a nice selection of fabrics. I like the idea of a Cordura type fabric for the outside layer.

Dave "SatinSnow" has suggested 'pellant' as an inner lining. I'm not familiar with that fabric.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung
    Hello:

I use Porters bellows fabric for making bellows. Anybody know of a different source for opaque, flexible, thin, and less expensive bellows cloth?

Thanks

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Barry,

I know this doesn't answer your query, but which type of Porter's cloth do you use (nylon or polyester)? and for what size bellows?

Nathan,

Have you been able to find a source for "pellant"? I have had no luck on the net, nor at fabric stores. Is Cordura light/flexible/light proof?

Thank you.
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CRhymer
    Barry,

I know this doesn't answer your query, but which type of Porter's cloth do you use (nylon or polyester)? and for what size bellows?

Nathan,

Have you been able to find a source for "pellant"? I have had no luck on the net, nor at fabric stores. Is Cordura light/flexible/light proof?

Thank you.
    Clarence
    No, google didn't turn up anything for me either.

Cordura is a tough fabric often used in luggage. I don't think it's necessarily light-proof, but the inner layer can take care of that.
    Here's the official Cordura web site ... and here's the Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics page for Cordura & Cordura-like fabrics.

Again, I haven't actually made a bellows yet, and I don't know just a heck of a lot about fabric, such as what a 'denier' is so I'm not sure what thickness to try.

I had a bellows for my Kodak 2D made by Western Bellows a while back, they did a fine job and used a rugged-looking black fabric for the outside layer. By that I mean it looks great, and it looks as though it's pretty tough stuff.

Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi Barry,

I've used blackout curtain material, which is available at any fabric shop (used to line window curtains) and is inexpensive (about $5-7 a yard as I remember). The only problem is that it is mainly available only in white, so you need to add extra layers --I added a black sheer layer on the inside, and a thin red nylon on the outside for my Kodak 2D. All layers glued well, nylon though probably the worst of the bunch. Recently, I've found similar curtain material in colors, including black, which will remove a layer --but it is a bit more expensive --about $20/yard

cheers

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    forgot to mention --the blackout curtain material is completely opaque

Tim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use the coated nylon darkroom cloth. I believe it is a type of cloth used for raincoats. I use this as the outer cover and line it with china silk (habotai) for 10 x 10 tapered bellows
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I think Dave meant repellant as in water repellant fabric. The glue I use works very very well. it is spray on headliner cement for car headliners. Available at any good auto parts store
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    denier is the thread count. 300 deiner cloth has 300 threads per inch.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Tim:

The blackout cloth you mentioned is too thick for my use. It does not fold up thin enough to allow the caneras to close properly. I made two sets of bellows with that stuff. The other thing is that it does not crease well cause there is so much rubber impreganted into it. Thanks
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin