Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,724   Online: 907

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hobby CNC

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have heard great stuff about Gecko drives. I also know that NEMA 34 are better than NEMA 23 motors. The problem is that I need to get this thing up and running quickly and the closest thing I can find to a turnkey kit uses Nema 23 motors and a Xylotex driver board.

I usually use a 34 frame stepper, more bang for the buck, in my experience, but you may not be able to fit that on your machine. The only drives I have used that have been absolutely flawless have been the Geckodrives. Top notch product and top notch support, Mariss is an example of how to run a small business (and he's a pilot too, always a plus in my book)
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Wow, been so busy I have not had a chance to keep you all updated. The CNC conversion of my minimill has begun. I purchased a 4axis drive box from Xylotex with four 269 oz/in stepper motors and the ballscrew and motor mount kit for three axes from CNCfusion. I just finished mounting the Y axis ball screw and motor mount and motor this morning. The ballscrew was too long and I had to install and remove it 4 times while grinding it to length. The bearing collar (which adjusts for near zero backlash) on the X axis was so tight that I stripped the socket head cap screw trying to remove it. Now I have to drill it out and replace it wilh a high quality screw. I had the four motors running on my kitchen table, can't wait to get the mill running under computer control.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just wait til you make that first piece, you'll be so thrilled you'll have to show everyone. Just remember, it's just a hobby (just like photography.....)

erie

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi erie:

Well I probably won't be quite as excited as most home shop machinists who cnvert their machine to CNC since I have been running CNC's for a living for the past fifteen years, but I am sure every word you say is quite true.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My minimill converted to CNC ebgraved "cameramaker.com" into a piece of mahogany Monday morning at 12:10 A.M.

The birth of a new CNC is a wondrful thing.

Just hav to install the limit switches and build the table extension slide now and wll be ready to start making fixtures to mass produce camera parts.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've spent today soldering one of the drivers for my servos - its an open source chip/driver collaboration mostly from Germany and Japan - Apparently I'm building around the 900th board - still some way to go tho until I mate it and its two brothers (yet to be made) to a as of yet unpurchased mill (;
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    900 boards? Wow Nick. You designed your own drivers? Wow Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder
    I've spent today soldering one of the drivers for my servos - its an open source chip/driver collaboration mostly from Germany and Japan - Apparently I'm building around the 900th board - still some way to go tho until I mate it and its two brothers (yet to be made) to a as of yet unpurchased mill (;
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    no no no - I wish tho (;

A german made the chip with all the PID parameters and PC interface - a japanese guy designed the PCB - many germans Beta tested it etc.. I'm the 300th or so 'customer' (900/3 axis give or take) - the maker of the chip is kind enough to sell them for beer money and he has made 900 so far ...

I have made a little stepper driver that takes parallel port step/dir input - but it just uses standard stepper driver chips so isnt really a great make, but the current limiting stuff is my design - so I'm kinda proud about that one ... its really only for little 50oz-in steppers tho and I am yet to find an application outside of playing around... maybe I could use them to automate props when I get around to build my cine motion control system (big long project that one)
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin