Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,591   Online: 851

Shooter
    Multi Format

Polaroll (unusual polaroid modification)

I had quite a few polaroids that were never getting used. Main reason is that I do not quite like the film, don't care about the instant result, it does not give me a negative to enlarge, ... Also, the film packs are expensive at the shop I go to (where I buy my other films).

However, I have a lot of respect for the cameras themselve, and quite enjoy just shooting them without film in it. Ofcourse my family started thinking I was crazy (who can blame them?).

So I did what every toycamera user would do: I went to the garage to get my saw The result can be seen here: a polaroid instant 20 with a 120 rollfilm back. The back is removeable (even during a roll by using the dark slide), so running out of batteries is not a problem (batteries are on the inside of the camera...). I cut away a bit of plastic at various locations but I think the camera would still function correctly when the back is removed and polaroid film is inserted.

Now I just need some more spare time to go out and shoot with it...

Also, I'd like to note that I am not the first to do this (but I was amazed I couldn't find more info on it all over the net). Here is the only example of anything coming close to it: http://www.xs4all.nl/~hkeijser/camer...eras.main.html . Seems like his modifications were more destructive, but his results do look promising!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Very interesting!
    In what format is the frame of the resulting photos?

And, can one attach a polaroid film back?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That looks neat! I would love to see more on how you made it. What kind of rollfilm back did you use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, there is a Japanese guy who tried to convert a Polaroid SX-70 to accept roll film, but his results aren't good enough yet. See his pictures here It's a very interesting experiment, though, and we're in the process of rethinking the construction options to see if there is another way around it. It may or may not be feasable, we're not sure yet. All depends on whether we can tame the electric circuitry into behaving as we want it to. It would be nice to end up with a working foldable fully automatic 6x9 SLR!

Problems of Shinsaku are the position of the roll film holder - it needs to be built in deeper inside the body. Film transport is far from ideal as well. We're thinking about using a Rada roll film holder (like the one you used), which would improve film transport. Electric circuitry needs to be rewired as well around the camera body and not across the holder for ease of use. But this is a far more complicated modification than yours, which, I must say, looks really elegant. Touché!
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Attached is 120 rollfilm filmback (it has "rollex-patent" printed on it. It is a rollfilm back for 6x9 plate cameras (you insert the rollfilm holder instead of sheet film holders...). It is for 6x9 images. I assume the polaroid will cover the frame almost completely.

To use polaroid film, I just remove the rollfilm back I put into it, and put the original back door on again.
    Last edited by Wimpler; 02-05-2006 at 01:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not own a polaroid SX-70, but I do own several other polaroids waiting for a conversion. I am especially thinking about trying my saw on a polaroid with the sonar autofocus system...

What I am currently working on is the conversion of a kodak EK 160. This is working out very well.

I took my finished camera with me today, however, I discovered I didn't have a take up spool in the roll-film holder. Now it is dark outside. Hope I can find some time to take a few shots tomorrow.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin