Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,140   Online: 869

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Schneider barrel mounts can have their maximum aperture adjusted!

Hello friends,

today I was playing with Schneider 105/4.5 Componar. I have the cells, and the size 0 barrel (BK0, Blendenkorper 0 according to Schneider datasheet) - with maximum aperture 9. The iris didn't open completely, and that frustrated me very much. When I took the assembly apart, I found that iris can be fully opened and closed, or allowed to open just to the maximum size needed! In other words, Schneider made one barrel for all their 0-sized lenses, and changed only the aperture markings on setting ring. To adjust the max aperture, I loosened five screws on a brass keeping plate inside, and carefully moved the center ring (to which the front cell was screwed) just until the iris blades were invisible through the front, and the setting ring was on 9 stop. That was the maximum aperture - 4.5 in my case. I tightened the screws, and reassembled everything together. The result: I have a fully functional lens, the only thing I have to do is to write a new iris scale on this barrel. 9 corresponds now to 4.5, 11 is 5.6, and 64 is 32 - more than enough to me. I think the 1 sized barrel has the same scheme. So if you have a Schneider barrel mount that you would use with some other cells, you can adjust its aperture to some desired value.

Good luck, and cheers from Moscow - Zhenya

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Russian genius strikes again!
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting.

I wonder what's wrong with the Schneider barrels I've had. Three held 240/9 G-Clarons, one held 55/8 Repro-Claron, one held 135/5.6 Symmar. All had diaphragms that opened all the way and aperture scales to match the lens. So the first four opened wider that the largest marked aperture.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dan,
    the inner construction of those barrels is typically German - plenty of unneeded complications and something important being overlooked In my barrel mount all five heads of the screws keeping the inner delimiting plate in place were damaged - quite incredible for German assembly! But I know why they're damaged - the max aperture depends on the position of the threaded ring that contains the front lens cell, so if the screws are not tight, the aperture goes off when the cell is screwed in with too much torque. There's no other stopping screws, keeping everything in factory set ordnung, can you imagine that? Only five screws and a brass thin plate keeps everything together, in an indirect way. The Schneider barrel was designed with a serious construction flaw, that's it. Maybe thanks to this flaw (the max aperture opening can be screwed up with too much torque) your barrels open up for too much. My 240/9 G-Claron barrel doesn't open to full on 9 setting, that's for sure - I got this barrel, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Interesting.

I wonder what's wrong with the Schneider barrels I've had. Three held 240/9 G-Clarons, one held 55/8 Repro-Claron, one held 135/5.6 Symmar. All had diaphragms that opened all the way and aperture scales to match the lens. So the first four opened wider that the largest marked aperture.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin