Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,685   Online: 1070

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Need help disassembling a lens.

I have ann old (mid-fifties?) Kodak Tourist folding camera that I want to use for pinhole and zone plate. This is my first attempt at this and I have run into a problem removing the lens. The front and rear cells I was able to unscrew but the middle cell has me stumped. I don't know what holds it in place. Looking at it from both sides of the shutter, it doesn't appear to be screwed in. Does anyone know if these were pressed in? I don't mind destroying the lens but I want the shutter.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't understand the mid lens? The front lens cell unscrews from the front adn the rear cell is unscrewed from the back. You'll see two notches in the ring, the entire cell comes right out in one piece. Maybe you separated the cell somehow?

can you post a pic of the back side and the front looking into the shutter?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron
    I don't understand the mid lens? The front lens cell unscrews from the front adn the rear cell is unscrewed from the back. You'll see two notches in the ring, the entire cell comes right out in one piece. Maybe you separated the cell somehow?

can you post a pic of the back side and the front looking into the shutter?
    Therre are no notches. After removing set screws I was able to unscrew the front element. The rear element just unscrewed. THe element left does not appear to screw in and the piece holding this element, into which the front element was attached, does not appear to move either. There are no notches and I don't see any more set screws except one external to the lens area and appears to be part of the shutter assembly. I have not done anything to it as I do not want to damage the shutter.

I have posted some pictures here

I appreciate any ideas you might have.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the pictures, Dan, my guess would be that the remaining section may have been pressed into the shutter housing as a means of reducing manufacturing cost. If the section of the internally-threaded black ring at the front overlaps the front surface of the shutter housing, that would be an indicator of the direction of the press-in operation. If that retainer is actually pressed in, you might be able to remove it by tapping from the rear, using a flat-tipped pin punch and gentle taps with a small hammer. I'd try to support the front of the shutter housing by drilling a hole slightly larger than the outside diameter of the retaining ring.

It appears these cameras were not designed to be serviced or repaired, so there's a risk of damage to the parts you want to keep for your pinhole.

Before taking my "bigger hammer" approach, you might want to contact a camera repair pro to see if they have any suggestions. Carol Flutot is a member here, and might have a better idea.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's the Diomatic shutter. I haven't worked on any so this is something I have never seen before. There must be a trick to removing it, maybe a snap ring or something. I did a search of the Classic camera repair site and found this... http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/foru...674/1043.html?

If that doesn't help, try posting a message on the site.... http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/ Click on LAST WEEK to see the forums, then leave a message from there by clicking on a topic, at the bottom of the page is start a new thread. If these guys don't know, no one will.

See ya over there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys,

Thanks for the help. I really think this thing is pressed in. I will check the kyphoto site but, since this camera cost me less than $10 I am not adverse to trying a little hammer work. THe middle piece came as a surprise. I have some other old cameras where screwing out the front and rear elements leave you with a clear shutter. Unfortunately, the shutter is not functional in any of them.

I actually bought another camera on ebay to use for this project but, when it arrived, it was such a nice piece that, in good conscience, I cannot destroy it.

I will check and see if anyone can give me a nondestructive method of removing this thing. Failing that, brute force may have its day.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    check out f295.org those guys know everything. good luck
    eddie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've taken apart quite a few old shutter lens assemblies, and I've never seen anything like what you posted. How about a follow-up pic after you have put the six pound sledge hammer to good use?

Rick.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/foru...tml?1142274998 I guess you've gotten your answer, it is screwed in adn either drilling 2 small dimples and use a spanner, or friction like a rubber stopper can be used to unscrew the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron
    http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/foru...tml?1142274998 I guess you've gotten your answer, it is screwed in adn either drilling 2 small dimples and use a spanner, or friction like a rubber stopper can be used to unscrew the lens.
    Classic Camera Repair forum is an excellent resource. Thank you for directing me there. The camera in question is still resting peacefully on my desk. I may try the dimple and spanner approach, I have already tried various other methods of friction but nadda. If i have any success, I will let you know.

This weekend I got a Busch Pressman 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 that I may use instead. I can easily remove the lens elements (and reinstall them should I like) and the range finder would be handy with zone plate.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin