Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,103   Online: 1186

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Images
    Thanks for the information, looks like I will be searching ebay for a kodak 3a and a decent lens. What enlarger do you use, have you made a 6x14 negatve holder to suit, or do you just contact print?

Shooter
    35mm
    For some time I've had a spare 90/6.8 lens sitting around (a Roeschlein-Kreuznach Rexagon in a Synchro-Compur-P shutter) and I've always kind of wanted to make a 6x12 camera out of it. At first I was thinking of buying Razzledog's CD on Polaroid 110 conversion, but decided that $50 seemed like a lot for something I could probably figure out myself. Then I read the page on the Medium Format Megasite and that decided to try that route first.

Looking at the Kodak 1A/2A versus the 3A I ran into some issues though. I have a 4x5 enlarger, so I wouldn't be able to print the whole negative if I went with a 3A, but if I got a 1A/2A I would be getting a somewhat shortened pano format. Then I got to looking at the other Kodak roll film formats on Walker Mangum's Kodak Collector page and saw that the 130 roll film format was the closest to giving a 5" wide negative. There aren't so many Kodak folders that use the 130 format, but I settled on a 2C and got one on eBay for $11. It hasn't arrived yet, but I plan to copy the general ideas I have read so far to narrow the film gate, make a pressure plate, 120 roll adapters, etc. My biggest concern is whether I will have to chop off part of the door to keep it from appearing in the picture. It may not be too pretty by the time I'm finished, but it will be an interesting little project.

Jerry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OK, another link, this one to an unfinished project. http://members.optusnet.com.au/~paul..._panoramic.htm

I'm only shooting colour transparencies with these cameras with the intention of scanning and printing via inkjet (still to be bought). I've got a Beseler 45 enlarger and I suspect that it might be possible to file out a carrier to fit 6x14. The diagonal of a 6x14 neg (56x140 actual) is about the same as a 4x5 neg so there should be enough coverage.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hey paul

Which agfa or ansco has two of those nifty fold up film holders?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It was an Agfa Billy Compur like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.de/alte-Rollfilm-Kam...QQcmdZViewItem

Note that the winder has a flip up key. Mine was bought in Australia and had a distance scale marked in feet while this one is marked in meters.

This one looks similar:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Agfa-Billy-Co...QQcmdZViewItem

but has a solid winder so is different in some way and may not have the flip out spool holders.

I have no idea if there is a Ansco equivalent.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is an article on converting 1A and 2a and 3a in Black and white photography UK n°45 aPril 2005. It is quite interesting and gine good starting point.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, I'm partway through construction of a pair of 6x24 on 120 pinhole cameras...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Alright! Paul

I happened to have an unfixable agfa folder laying around. My problem was the spacers would cause binding on the last two frames. So using one of the agfa flip up holders fixed that perfectly. I actually cut the whole end off the agfa and epoxied it in there. No more binding. The other end, the take up spool, works fine with the spacers.

By the way, I'm using a Kodak autographic 3A for a 6x14cm frame. Your film counting hint works well too. And this camera has the "autographic" slot. I covered that with rubylith and use it as the frame counter. No need to make a new hole.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Kevin, cutting the end of the Agfa sounds a lot less fiddly than the mucking around I went through to get everything lined up properly. Putting the rubylith in the autographic window is a great idea. Sounds like you're almost ready to go out and take photos.

Jerry, I've got a Kodak 2C Jr. Autographic that is too nice to modify, but otherwise has great potential. The frame size is 73mm x 125mm (on 130 film) so not too far from 6 x 12 and spacers should work fine. Best of all, the entire back comes off so fitting the reels in looks to be very easy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins
    Jerry, I've got a Kodak 2C Jr. Autographic that is too nice to modify, but otherwise has great potential. The frame size is 73mm x 125mm (on 130 film) so not too far from 6 x 12 and spacers should work fine. Best of all, the entire back comes off so fitting the reels in looks to be very easy.
    Hi Paul,

The 2C Pocket I received is in excellent condition; I am starting to think it would be a shame to chop off the door. So first I plan to just modify it to take 120 film and then try out the original lens. I estimate it will have a horizontal angle of view equivalent to a 43mm lens on 35mm film, which is really kind of tight for panoramics I would think. The removable back is kind of nice, plus it already has a built-in pressure plate, so one less mod to make. I had also been thinking about turning the autographic slot into a red window, but the pressure plate blocks access to work on it. I think that if I drill out the four rivets that are visible on the back of the back then the pressure plate will come out, but I will have to get some miniature rivets to replace them.

If I can get 120 mod to work well, then maybe I'll start looking for another 2C to put the wide angle on.

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin