Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,158   Online: 873

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here are some pics of a modification I did this week to an 11x14 dryplate holder. The holder will now accept a 10"x12" plate. I've fashioned some corner inserts from acrylic and hopefully have matched the film plane position of a normal 11x14 film holder if I've done my cipherin' right. The inserts fit the four corners in the holder in the groove where the septum originally seated. I've made the inserts removable in case I have to clean them at some point in time.

The glass plate rests on the narrow strip of plastic which straddles the triangular corner piece. This surface is the focal plane. The wetplate is loaded from the rear of the holder so the emulsion surface rests upon the plastic at the film plane. A spring from an aluminum section picture frame goes between the rear of the glass plate and the darkslide as it is inserted. Once loaded in the camera, the darkslide on the opposite side towards the lens is removed in order to expose the plate.

Joe
    Last edited by smieglitz; 03-17-2006 at 07:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did a search on ebay in the vintage camera section. I had seen this a while ago and didn't know if they seller was still trying to sell these manuals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent, Joe!! Thanks for posting the pictures. I guess I'm going to have to do the same thing to one of my 14x17 dry plate holders at some point - hmmm... a 13x16 ambrotype?! Sweet... Looking forward to seeing your large plates!!
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe, thanks so much for the visual on the holders. It helps to 'see' what you're referring to.

Aggie...perfect!! I'm going to show this link to hubby when he gets home in a bit. He loves to make alot of what we use, so this may be something he's interested in.

All the advice and help here has been great! Thank you all so much!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another option is to buy a plate holder. A lot of older ones out there. I have some I for sale and so do a number of other folks on these forums. Once you have one in the size you need you seldom need more in that size. If you get the 8x10 size with the inserts for 5x7 and 4x5 you have one holder that can hold two plates of the same or varying sizes and speed up duplicating your shots in camera.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin