Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,486   Online: 917

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x10 and 8x20 Self Build Site

Just surfing tonight and came across this site regarding LF self build.

High quality and standards

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Images
    thanks for the post.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark

Way beyond my capabilities but we can dream

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Images
    Amazing.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Viw Camera Magazine ran an article on them a couple issues ago. The website is much better though. The first time I saw it (maybe a year ago) it almost discouarged me from trying to make my own cameras. Luckily I'm stupid and convinced myself that if people could make wooden cameras with just hand tools for decades before CNC machines and anodizing were developed, then maybe I could too. But those cameras ARE too cool. The only negative I saw to them was weight. I can't find it on there now, but I remember thinking it was more than double the weight of my Korona 8x20. More stable, but at twice the weight, I'll live with what I've got.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's true that CNC setups can be more precise and faster but a good jig and an appreciation of what is required is all that's necessary. Why use a mill or horizontal boring machine when a drill press will do the job. Why think you have to have a mill to make slots. A jig and a metal cutting blade on a table saw will do it. Sure you might have to finish it off with a file, but look at the old cameras. You see Kerf marks on the parts that don't show, and some that do show. Why get excited just do a little hand sanding. You can't find knobs? Have them made or look on the net, there out there. These wooden products aren't any more difficult than putting together a wooden plane or boat model. Maybe even easier. Have you ever held a lens up with a plain ground glass and moved the lens till you got an image? The camera is just the part that goes in between that allows you to move the lens and keep it there for an exposure. It's a great feeling to make the one you use. And it will be new and you will understand it because you built it. All of the information is out there and Dave at Satin Snow can make you a ground glass that will blow your socks off. I have the 11x14 ground glass ready for our build thanks to Dave.

regards
    Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great find Phil! Thanks for the post. I am embarking on a similar project and this is the best visual information I have seen.

Curt, I like your way of thinking.

Thanks again Phil.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are 100% right, Curt, but the craftsmanship shown is amazing.

I build my cameras with a vertical drill stand, hand saw, sanding paper and a dremel with table mill.

G

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I now have one inch and three quarter inch diameter knobs available. email me off list for pictures, They are solid brass and knurled, They come unlacquered.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    You can't find knobs? Have them made or look on the net, there out there. regards
    Curt
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin