Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,543   Online: 932

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Repairing a 1/4 plate flatbed. Some questions.

Hi all,

As the title states I'm repairing ,or attempting to repair a 1/4 plate camera, in an ideal world I'd like to make it functional, ie make a photo with it.

Anyway, down to the nitty gritty.

Can anyone recommend a supplier of small, (No 1, 2 or maybe even 0) wood screws in the UK, and other suitable hardware such as "rack and pinion"? I have failed to find anything online using google, yell etc.?

To make this functional I'm going to need to manufacture a darkslide, or possible a darkslide and back to take it. Is making a darkslide a practical proposition, bearing in mind I don't have access to machine tools other than hand held drill, plane, sander and router. Are there any drawings out there that I could base something on? Or are there any suggestions for making a light trap?

Thanks,

Martin
    I'm Spartacus!

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseowl
    Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a supplier of small, (No 1, 2 or maybe even 0) wood screws in the UK, and other suitable hardware such as "rack and pinion"? I have failed to find anything online using google, yell etc.?

Thanks,

Martin
    These folks are not in the UK, but I've heard they are good to deal with. I didn't check, but maybe they'll ship to you? If they don't, I'm sure someone will act as an intermediary.

http://www.smallparts.com/products/d...ns/grb-pgb.cfm

cheers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm in the US so I don't know how much help this will be for you but I purchased some Browning gear rack and matching pinions from a local engineering supply. The cost was about one-quarter that I found from a photographic dealer. The big source in the US is Boston Gear and perhaps they distribute overseas as well.

As far as darkslide material you might try garolite or some thin aluminum sheet (both sold by McMaster-Carr in the states). I am building a wetplate holder and using garolite. For the light trap, I think some spring aluminum used to attach weatherstripping to screen doors will work once covered with black felt or fine woolen material. The spring aluminum was found at a local hardware store.

Another type of material recommended to me for the light trap was something called "fingerstock" which is a thin metal spring material with fingers cut into it to evenly apply pressure against the opposing wall of the trap. Hinged pieces of hardwood backed by springs or dowels have also been used.

The best souce for the lightrap spring is probably a used modern 4x5 holder. You can cut it down for quarter-plate.

Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice.
    I'm Spartacus!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another source also US is Reid Supply Company misc. gear, knobs & other treasures.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin