Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,595   Online: 1102

Shooter
    Pinhole

minimalist sheet film back techniques

I have seen some nice full-featured hombrew spring backs that are too complicated for me to build (for example, Rudolf Mittellmann's Formicula....very nice, but too complicated for a hand-tool guy.)

I'm eyeing Ralph Young's leaf rake spring back on f295.com.

Anyone have any simplistic methods suitable for those spontaneous camera conversions that might be otherwise stifled (like 2x3 sheet on an old Polaroid rollfilm cam.

I have made some hideous Neander-backs things with picture frame moulding but I think the springback really solves all the headaches.

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Murray, you've been asking questions related, I think, to finding a way to use a backless Graphic that you bought in the hope a back could be found for it.

Someone on the www.graflex.org helpboard (not me, alas) suggested that you could put a piece of ground glass (buy from Dave!) in a film pack adapter and use that for viewing. After, that is, you'd attached a piece of sheet something (aluminum was suggested, plywood would do as well) with the appropriate cutout to your Graphic.

Well, you can use an FPA to hold a single sheet of film too. Reload in the field with the help of a changing bag. Remember, FPAs have darkslides. Rubber bands or a simple clamp to hold the loaded FPA on the camera.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Hmmm...you're reading between the lines and forums, eh (wait, Latin plural for forum might be fora...)

Yeah, trying to meld/mutate as many ideas as possible into one fusion. I seem to recall an empty FPA having some light gaps.

My 5x7 FPM became a platform for a picture-frame back. I believe there is a 4x5 FPA in the garage...I'll study it.

Thanks Dan
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its a long story, but I have four 2x3 FPAs, one of which has been converted to serve as the between-camera coupling for my tandem camera. If the dark slide isn't withdrawn completely, they're light-tight.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    AH, no dark slide in mine.

As I've let you know on another plane I found a 6x9 back, but I'll be on a spring-making quest now.
    Murray

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin