Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,278   Posts: 1,681,114   Online: 759

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    Testors, the folks that make model cement and paint have a very good flat black paint. Comes in 1/2 bottles at hobby stores.

India ink is carbon black and gum arabic in water. The problem is gum arabic may hold moisture and encourage rusting.
    Very true, but the acrylics from Floquil and Tamiya are every bit as durable and a lot less smelly to use and clean... not that I am a messy cluts or anything

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Very true, but the acrylics from Floquil and Tamiya are every bit as durable and a lot less smelly to use and clean.
    I would still worry about using anything water based on metal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another comment, for what it's worth. A water based acrylic when applied to metal becomes a thin film of plastic like material that is totally water proof when allowed to dry properly. The only problem with acrylic on metal is it doesn't adhere real well, meaning when dry it can be scraped and scratched fairly easily, inside of a camera, it is nearly bullet proof preserving everything it comes in contact with. The Floquil Railroad Color model paint I recommend is is not water based, it is thinned with a solvent. Poly S is thinned with water. Floquil Engine Black is very much the same as the Black Lacquer that Kodak sold for years for inside camera touch ups. I do not recommend Floquil Poly S for this kind of job! But it would work for awhile untill it became scratched, it would be next to impossible for it to cause rust or other problems.

Charlie...................................

Shooter
    Pinhole
    thank you...

but those 1/2 oz bottles are for peewee camera projects...
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When used in an airbrush the pigment contents of the tiny bottle is diluted upward of 50 percent, a working air brush with 1 full oz in the cup will go along way.

Charlie........................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard that India ink isn't what it used to be either. I know that piano restorers (where India ink was used for some internal parts) have some substitute, but I don't know what it is off hand.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am rebuilding an older Szabad 4x5 & just used some Krylon Ultra Matte black & it's great - non-reflective & is available both in spray & brush on.

I believe it's now called camo paint - see:
    http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details
    and: http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's also "ebonizing." Dissolve some rusty iron in vinegar for a couple weeks, then brush it on. It reacts quickly with tannins to blacken the wood. Thus it works best on tannic woods (some pre-treat other woods with tea), and probably doesn't work very well on metals :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin