Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,165   Posts: 1,658,509   Online: 752

bd3

Shooter
    Multi Format

Building a cold head....

This may be the wrong place to post this. If it is moderators feel free to move it to the proper forum. I'm new here and am looking for information on how to make a cold head for an enlarger. What kind of lamp should be used, what it should be constructed from, etc. Any help that anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Provide some background info..... What enlarger do you have? What size neg will you print?
    —Eric

bd3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I forgot to include that I'm going to use an old press camera as the enlarger. Will accomodate up to 4x5 negatives. Basically I want to make a Graflarger.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    It might be easier to get a second hand aristo unit and convert it. Cold lamps can be kinda tricky to diy with voltage regulation and grid spacing. You could check out http://www.aristogrid.com/ for ideas about what's available.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know that they'd qualify as "cold light" because they aren't cold cathode, but the simplest method of building your own Graflarger equivalent would probably involve buying several of the very small under-shelf type of fluorescent light fixtures, removing the ballasts and sockets from the plastic shell, and reassembling them in an array that will provide even light. The fixtures run around $15-$20 each. You'll have to watch for start-up flickers and reduced output when the tubes are cold; given you're using a camera for this, using a lens in shutter, with T setting and cable release, is probably a good idea (you can just leave the light on, or let it warm for 30 seconds before opening the shutter for an exposure).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    equinox photographic sells plans on their website for building a cold light head, its cheep enough, might be worth a looksie

-john

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not just go ahead and buy a graflarger? There's one on that auction site (Item 7614638347)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin