Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,055   Online: 946

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Has anyone ever found a way to strip the rest of the AR coating away so that a new AR coating can be applied? And has anyone ever tried to coat a lense with an AR coating? Seeing that you can get glass and plastic eye glass lenses done with an AR coating, and the coating is applied in the eyeglass shop, just seems like it should be something that can be done as a DIY thing.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery
    It'll stop the itch...
    Would that be the itch to buy new lenses?

Shooter
    35mm
    I would try soap and water first, then try the harsher chemicals. You don't want to damage any coatings on the lenses.

A while back I had a Nettar with a hazy lens. The only trouble was having to dismantle the elements to get in between the lenses, but this was just a matter or removing the snap rings. Anyway, soap and water worked well and the fungus has not returned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E
    Has anyone ever found a way to strip the rest of the AR coating away so that a new AR coating can be applied? And has anyone ever tried to coat a lense with an AR coating? Seeing that you can get glass and plastic eye glass lenses done with an AR coating, and the coating is applied in the eyeglass shop, just seems like it should be something that can be done as a DIY thing.
    The coating applied to camera and enlarging lenses is completely different from that applied to eyeglasses. Special equipment is needed to apply various metal compounds in a vacuum to the glass surface. Not something that the user can do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    The coating applied to camera and enlarging lenses is completely different from that applied to eyeglasses. Special equipment is needed to apply various metal compounds in a vacuum to the glass surface. Not something that the user can do.
    Unless you work in a thin film equipment manufacturing company and know the process engineers real well.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Arax might possibly recoat the lens.

http://www.araxfoto.com/repairing/

Contact them and see.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually, I have the names of a few places in Rochester New York that I need to contact, they do both vacuum deposition and Sol-gel type coatings. The Sol-gels look like they really should be a DIY method, if you can get the materials and an oven to cook off the sol. Ti and Si sol-gels are very common for use in AR coatings. Normally it's a 3 dip process that uses the Titanium as the first and third layer, and the Silicon as the middle layer. Speed of withdrawl from the sol determines the thickness of the coating, and then how much it loses during consolidation (baking). Consolidation must happen between each coat. For a single coat AR, Magnesium Fluoride is normally the choice, and is again available in a sol-gel. Yes I did do a bunch of research on this, but the biggest problems were the container sizes, and price. Let's just say that it wasn't going to be cheap, and I would have had enough sol for the rest of my life.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    As cheap as quality enlarging lenses are going on Ebay, the best way is to replace them.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin