Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,067   Posts: 1,611,794   Online: 1116

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So how do I straighten paper shutter blades?

I've got 3 donor shutters apart to make two good ones, and I'm wondering if anyone has a good method for straigtening tweeked iris blades. These blades appear to be paper, I'm thinking of clamping them between two pieces of masonite and waiting a couple days. Any other ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They seem to be more of a composite material than paper. I can tell you one thing, though, the stuff is usually very brittle. I've never had any luck at repairing these blades. Maybe it can be done but I've yet to find the answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you say what they are out of?
    Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be really careful with the pins.

( like that isn't an insanely obvious thing to say ! )

How big is the lens / blades ?
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    You can try Ironing them, but don't put the iron directly on the blade and
    don't have it too hot. Than while they are still warm put them in between the Masonite til cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol Flutot
    You can try Ironing them, but don't put the iron directly on the blade and
    don't have it too hot. Than while they are still warm put them in between the Masonite til cool.
    I know have a surreal image in my head of someone standing at an ironing board carefully flattening iris blades!

You could try SK Grimes for advice as they seem to deal with a lot of lenses that have precisely the type of iris blades you are dealing with.

Hope this helps,

Lachlan

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good luck with S. K. Grimes -- they seems to respond with "that shutter is not repairable" for almost anything they can't get new parts for, unless there's a few hundred dollars in it. I'd trust Carol's advice -- she actually works on old shutters at prices lower than the cost of buying a new one...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin