Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,952   Online: 794

Shooter
    Multi Format

Some (5x12) assistance before I begin indiscriminately sawing...

Hi,
    I borrowed my friend's home brewed 5x12 to study before I try making a conversion for my camera. This camera might best be referred to as "brutally functional". It was constructed in a hurry, from available materials, and with no concern for cosmetics. It has however been used to make fine photos so I take heart.

In addition to building the camera he kit-bashed the holders out of preexisting components. This seems to me a very clever solution to what I see as the most vexing part of the LF/odd format equation. A "cheap camera" project can quickly bloat when the cost of holders is factored in. However, I don't want to immediately build myself into a corner and in measuring things I find myself wondering: are there "official" specs for a 5x12 holder? I think I would follow his lead to get my project off the ground but, if there is a standard it would be nice to future proof (ha) my project. I would also appreciate any leads and tips people have on sources for machine work and finishing for aluminum parts.
    Thanks.
    Celac.
    Last edited by pelerin; 05-20-2006 at 12:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't believe there is a standard for the 5x12 holders. There are three possibilities. Old Korona holders, S&S holders and AWB Enterprises holders. I have some S&S holders in this size and they are quite nice and functional.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    Great Basin Photographic also made 5x12 holders. Unfortunately, they're out of business now, and their holders are very hard to find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    I don't believe there is a standard for the 5x12 holders. There are three possibilities. Old Korona holders, S&S holders and AWB Enterprises holders. I have some S&S holders in this size and they are quite nice and functional.
    Hi,
    I think you could add Lotus to that list. I'm sure that the S&S holders are very high quality. The ones I borrowed are functional but certainly not high quality. The upside is the low cost and the fact that cobbling them together yourself means almost instant gratification. Would you be willing to provide me with few dimensions off your holders so that I could compare them with the ones I already have? Thanks.
    Celac.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin