Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,847   Online: 890

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

12x20 Korona Rear Standard Box Allignment

I have a 12x20 Korona and I removed the worn out bellows and I am in the process of ordering a new bellows for it. I was cleaning the camera when I noticed the rear standard box was out of alignment. Facing the back of the camera, the right hand side is closer to the lens by about a 1/4 of an inch than the left hand side. I see no obvious bends or tweaks in the hardware that supports the rear standard box. This camera has rear swings so I can swing the back to align the back. I would like to know from the camera builders if there is a way to fix the alignment so I don't have the swing the camera back.

Thanks

Gary
    "He who expecteth nothing,
    Shall not be disappointed." Robert Willingham, 1907

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has it jumped the rack or have a clicking sound when focusing?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It did jump the track that controls the tilt. I removed that gearing to see how far out of alignment it is.

Gary

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had a 12X20 Korona...and mine had a way to remove the back standard from the track and then align the gear engagement..
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes this is common with these type cameras and the metal guides sometimes have to be adjusted but if the rack and pinon are all right then it is just a matter of care and adjustment. Richard Ritter can be of help if you need a professional to fix it but I have several Kodaks and Senecas I have adjusted and when they are working and adjusted right they work great.

Curt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My 4x5 was just like that when I first got it. I was able to roll the back off of the rail and then roll it back on with both sides aligned properly. No problems since then after many negatives.

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Let me bring this back on track (sorry for the pun). It is not a matter of the gearing jumping the track because I have removed the adjustment rod. The box appears to be slightly warped. I am interested in possible remedies. Do I need to remove the box and weight it down to straighten it out?

Sorry for the confusion.

Gary

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary892
    Let me bring this back on track (sorry for the pun). It is not a matter of the gearing jumping the track because I have removed the adjustment rod. The box appears to be slightly warped. I am interested in possible remedies. Do I need to remove the box and weight it down to straighten it out?

Sorry for the confusion.

Gary
    That is strange...I have not heard of that before...I guess that I would place the back (alone) on a flat and substantially stable surface and slowly over days use clamps to try and straighten the back...
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ah, I see now. That is a problem. Repairing warped wood is tricky for those without a fair amount of experience, especialy with something that requires a certain amount of precision like a camera. I would suggest trying what Donald suggested, but I don't think that the wood will be able to be easily bent back. If the wood is warped then it was likely exposed to moisture and/or pressure and repairing it might involve having those pieces replaced if it is really bad. I would see if you can find a local woodworker's group and get the opinion of an experienced woodworker. The camera was built by hand by a craftsman, so who better to do the repair? Having it done commercialy would likely be very expensive, but taping a resource like a local craftsperson might fit the bill and result in a better fix. After all, there is no substitute for a lifetime of experience.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gary, could we see a picture of the back box frame? Is the wood warped or is the joinery? Can you see any swelling of the wood and what species is it?

Curt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin