Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,464   Online: 763

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys

Jergen was a bit too pricey for my college budget ($100 or so to fix it better than I could ever do, I'm sure)

I couldn't get the inner ring off and as my electronics teacher always told me, never force something to come off so I took the advice here and squirted the Rosonol into the exposed shutter and fired it off a few times. Lather, rinse, repeat. So far so good! I can't accurately measure the shutter speeds but 1 second no longer takes about 30 seconds to close (it seems to count about my 'one onethousand' pretty well) and the fast ones seem faster than the fast ones. What is a way, short of putting film in there and shooting a roll, of testing the shutter accuracy. Most likely, I'll use it for color print and skip slide but it would be nice to know how accurate it is.

So I think I'll just get some lube later and slap it all back together and adjust it all. Nice to know that these folders are fairly easy to service. Thanks all!

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your eye and ear think the shutter seems about right, it probably is. I would start at 1 second and see if the speeds seem to change proportionately. In my experience, leaf shutters are either way off or pretty close. You may want to double check that the blades close all the way at slow speeds, as I have seen that problem in an otherwise smoothly functioning shutter. Be sure not to get any lubricant in it while you are putting it back together.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    If your eye and ear think the shutter seems about right, it probably is. I would start at 1 second and see if the speeds seem to change proportionately. In my experience, leaf shutters are either way off or pretty close. You may want to double check that the blades close all the way at slow speeds, as I have seen that problem in an otherwise smoothly functioning shutter. Be sure not to get any lubricant in it while you are putting it back together.
    Yeah, I'll check that. I have the camera pretty much 85% back together with the middle lens element back in place for the time being.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by battra92
    Thanks guys

So I think I'll just get some lube later and slap it all back together and adjust it all. Nice to know that these folders are fairly easy to service. Thanks all!
    Sorry, I haven't checked this link for a few days. Be sure to keep the lube away from the shutter mechanism. If you used Ronsonol lighter fluid, there should be sufficient residual lubrication to keep the shutter firing smoothly. If you just can't help yourself, and have to lube something, use a very, very small amount of lightweight machine-oil (sewing machine oil comes to mind) applied with the tip of a needle, only to surfaces where a part rotates on a pin. DO NOT put any lube on any gears.

You had asked about removing the shutter assembly from the camera, and this is accomplished by removing the retaining ring from the bellows side. A lens spanner helps out immensely here. If you don't have one, you might be able to fashion one by grinding a couple of tits on a piece of band-saw stock, and then gripping it in a pair of vice-grips. (Grind slowly, and quench frequently, or you'll remove the temper.)

Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have always had the view that if the one second speed takes about a second and does so smoothly with no hesitancy, then the rest of the speeds should be pretty good.
    I don't base this on any facts or actual measurements, just what I have found so far.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks again for all your help. I adjusted the focus and after a tiny bit of the lube gel from Radio Shack (which cost a whole 97 cents) and it's as good as new. The bellows are light tight as of right now. I hope I never have to replace those. ^_^;;

Now to take it out and get shooting. I just got the roll back from my Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515 and they are pretty sweet. I'll definately be using these folders as a demo for my college photo club.

I've got Medium Format in my pocket ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That Ronsonal really works nice doesn't it. And it evaporates and leaves the metal very clean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    That Ronsonal really works nice doesn't it. And it evaporates and leaves the metal very clean.
    That it did. I kept hearing how you have to pour it off and stuff. Funny but by the time I went to pour it out of the shutter, I got nothing. The only question I have is after it dried, where did the dust and grime go? Everything looked really clean afterwards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by battra92
    That it did. I kept hearing how you have to pour it off and stuff. Funny but by the time I went to pour it out of the shutter, I got nothing. The only question I have is after it dried, where did the dust and grime go? Everything looked really clean afterwards.
    Hopefully not on the shutter leaves! If you clean an escapement on the camera, apply one drop at a time. Never apply directly from the bottle - its too easy to go overboard.

Personally, I always disassemble a shutter to service it. Its so easy on the Prontor's too - there aren't any finicky adjustment points like on the Compur's.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs
    Hopefully not on the shutter leaves! If you clean an escapement on the camera, apply one drop at a time. Never apply directly from the bottle - its too easy to go overboard.
    Well I don't think I went overboard. ^_^;;

Personally, I always disassemble a shutter to service it. Its so easy on the Prontor's too - there aren't any finicky adjustment points like on the Compur's.
    Eh, I just wasn't comfortable with that, plus I couldn't get the shutter off (no spanner wrench)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin