Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,008   Online: 1077

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Another folder repair question

Okay, here's the deal. After fixing an Agfa Isolette, an acquaintence decided to donate an Ansco Speedex to me. It was pretty cool and the bellows are perfect (I'm impressed) and everything else is good except: 1) The focus is froxen (which I can fix) and 2) the shutter is incredibly slow. I clocked 10 seconds on the 1 second setting.

This is a nice camera with an Apotar lens and, I think, a Prontor-SV shutter (I'll check when I get home) I would think this is something worth getting fixed as it is better than my current Agnar/ Vario Isolette. And hey, it would be nice for color and use the Agnar for B&W.

Shutter repair is something I do not feel comfortable with. I can do the focus just fine, and even fixing holes in bellows is fine, but shutters are too sensitive. Does anyone have advice on who/where/if it's worth it to get this fixed. I mean it is a cool enough camera and all and I can probably see myself using it so I thought I'd ask you repair guys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Carol...

http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

Good luck!

B

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by battra92

Shutter repair is something I do not feel comfortable with. I can do the focus just fine, and even fixing holes in bellows is fine, but shutters are too sensitive.
    Before you write-off repairing the shutter yourself, take a look at this page:http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/...r/prontor.html
    A lot of the problem with the shutters on the old Agfa/Ansco's is solidified lubricant and dust. If you're tearing it down far enough to free-up the focus, you're only about two steps away from dismounting the shutter and dropping it in a bowl of lighter-fluid for a few days. I'm just a hammer-mechanic, but I've been able to restore a couple of them. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jurgen Kreckel, www.certo6.com, has worked on a couple for me. Very good service and reasonable prices. He specializes in folders.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format

Another how-to site.

http://www.ph.utexas.edu/%7Eyue/misc/AnscAgfa.html

Towards bottom of page there is a section on service and cleaning the Prontor shutter.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second the dropping in lighter fluid suggestion. It has worked wonders for several of mine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quick and probably stupid question. I have the front elements off so I can see the clockworks of the shutter. How do I get it off to immerse it in lighter fluid?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    Jurgen Kreckel, www.certo6.com, has worked on a couple for me. Very good service and reasonable prices. He specializes in folders.

Lee
    I'll second recommending Jurgen. I've dealt with him a few times, and have only great things to say about his work.
    Chris

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If memory serves, you can fairly easily access the rear from inside the bellows. There should be a ring that unscrews. But if you can't get it off, just squirt some lighter fluid into the mechanism, let it sit a few seconds, fire the shutter a few times, pour off the lighter fluid, and repeat. Once it is firing well, let it dry. You may need to repeat the cycle a few times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used Ronsonal light fluid on several shutters to clean them and had success in all cases. I was surprised at how close the shutter speeds were after cleaning. I have a shutter speed tester and the speeds are very acceptable. I removed the rear element from the bellows side from inside the camera. I have an Agfa folder and now it's like new. Keep track of how you take it apart because of shims and washers. I could not get mine back together after hours of working on it. I put it away in a baggie then brought it out a couple of weeks and found that I had a part backwards, the whole thing went together fast as is great. It's fun to fix something if you can.

Curt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin