Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,746   Online: 897

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How did they assemble lens irises?

Well last night I finally managed to take apart, clean, and reassamble a set of Wollensak aperture blades in a shutter. Does anyone know how they did it in the old days? It took me too many cuss words and too much time to imagine doing this on an assembly line scale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Magical gnomes? I really don't know how they did it but I agree whole hartedly that they are a pita.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The short answer is that they used a jig to hold pieces in place and in their proper orientation. It kept the locating pins firmly in place prior to insertion into the shutter body. They still use jigs nowadays to put together the one-piece shutter and diaphragm assemblies in modern-day lenses. Because of the final one-piece construction, these are easily dropped in place and then secured with screws.

Or maybe they employed assembly line workers hired specifically for having at least four hands!

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've read that shutters and irises were assembled by ladies who neither knew nor cared anything about photography, but who could do them in seconds (after doing a few hundred), using pretty simple tools. I suspect that included a jig of some kind, and also the whole process likely varied considerably from one brand to another -- but the first iris I reassembled took me less than an hour, with no tools more sophisticated than tiny screwdrivers to push the blades around.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've just stripped, cleaned and reassembled the aperture blades of an Asahi Auto Takumar. It took me a couple of hours to get the blades sorted, but I reckon that with practice it would become much easier. A friend who once worked for Toshiba UK told me how the Japanese management were constantly surpised at the lack of dexterity of UK assembly line women compared to their Japanese equivalents, due mainly to the size of the fingers. My two bunches of bananas certainly don't help and fine screwdrivers/pliers are a must!!!
    Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin