Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,502   Online: 846

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pelerin
    Hi,
    ...any ideas on where one might obtain plexi at a modest cost. (local supplier is TAP) When I looked into this the cost of material made the price of commercially available units seem good value.
    Celac.
    I have found acrylic at two wholesalers in the town where I used to live. I am not sure the size of your city but most larger cities will have materials available.

As I recall, when I built my home built washer over twenty years ago the cost of materials was around $100. I bought my Zone VI washer used on Ebay for $350. So yes you can spend a fair amount on materials. I think new comparable washers are up in the $650 range now.

Good luck.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    My washer is stainless steel, like Ansel Adams used.

Curt
    Cool! How did you make it?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Works! I put an extra collar around the top and bottom and made the intakes to double as a clamp of sorts, so hopefully if there's a failure it wont be catastrophic.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 06-24-2007 at 10:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

1/4 inch plexi for washer

Hi Colin, for what it's worth I'll tell you my experience, in the early 1990's my (then) girlfriend made an exact copy of a Zone VI washer 20x24 (except she expanded it by a further 4 inches). For this we used second-hand (used) perspex (this is what we call your 'plexi-glass') and it is 6mm in width. 6mm is close enough to 1/4 inch. Anyway, I've used this washer constantly since then & have never had any troubles concerning it's lack of strength. We used the specific glue for plexi, the one where you should wear a mask while applying it. Also, I haven't had any problems with buckling, although I always keep a few inches of water in it when not in use. Maybe this vote of confidence with using 6mm material for 13-14 years will ease your anxiety.
    david.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi David
    That does help, thanks. I did use the acrylic solvent weld. I guess was just worried because the darkroom happens to be the computer room too and well...you can imagine! But I feel better now that it's done and and has been filled. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin