Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,866   Posts: 1,583,202   Online: 850

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

1/4 inch plexi for 16x20 washer?

I am making a 16x20 vertical print washer that will encroach on 2000 cubic inches of water and am worried that 1/4 inch plexi wont be rigid enough. I'm welding the seams so I'm not really concerned there but it seems like it might deform alot when full. If anyone has a 16x20 could you measure the tank thickness? Thanks very much

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Colin

My Nova 5-slot washer has a wall thickness of 8 mm.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    my zone vi has 3/8 inch walls I think.

lee\c

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks guys. Back to the drawing board!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 16x20 has 3/8" plexi as well, but you could put a small strip at the top to add strength if needed. My 20x24 has a 3/8 by 1" piece perpendicular near the top to add rigidity.
    Both of mine are zone VI but the place that made them was local in Madison, WI. I went over and got sratch & dent models for a discount.
    Jamie

Shooter
    Large Format
    My first "self built" 16X20 washer used 1/4 inch acrylic for the walls. I never had a leak in it over tweny years of use. My current Zone VI is what others have said.

One could get by with 1/4 inch acrylic if it is designed properly. I believe that one could be built lighter and less expensively then using 3/8 inch acrylic if one designed stiffeners into the side walls and used 1/4 inch material.

You should be guided by your own beliefs on this.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    As with many things, ultimately impatience rules design. I cant find 3/8 material locally and have 1/4 on hand, so it seems my decision has been made for me. Thanks for the suggestions and Donald that certainly helps to know yours was good for 20+ years. I'll post some pictures when it's done.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You could use one of those big rubbermaid bins as your container. Those things are industructable. I did it for an 8x10 washer.

Eric
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    My first "self built" 16X20 washer used 1/4 inch acrylic for the walls. I never had a leak in it over tweny years of use. My current Zone VI is what others have said.

One could get by with 1/4 inch acrylic if it is designed properly. I believe that one could be built lighter and less expensively then using 3/8 inch acrylic if one designed stiffeners into the side walls and used 1/4 inch material.

You should be guided by your own beliefs on this.
    Hi,
    ...any ideas on where one might obtain plexi at a modest cost. (local supplier is TAP) When I looked into this the cost of material made the price of commercially available units seem good value.
    Celac.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My washer is stainless steel, like Ansel Adams used.

Curt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin