Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,398   Online: 697

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Walnut ULF tripod

I've been building this tripod for a while now and I had some questions for my fellow camera builders. I picked up a majestic head for a very good price. It has the 1 3/8" collar that attaches to the yoke. Any ideas how best to attach it to my walnut yoke? Hopefully the attached pictures are of interest.
    By the way I got the idea from a design by Dick Streff off of the S.K. Grimes site. It should come in at about 12lbs. with the head. Sorry if the images don't come up. I'm not a great computer guy, but in time I'll figure it out??!!

Stay Focused

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 07-16-2007 at 10:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had an aluminum shaft and abutment built by a machine shop. This is a relatively simple job for someone who has a metal lathe. In your particular case I would look to have a 1 3/8 X 2 inch X the depth of the recepticle + 5/8 inch turned down and three holes 1/4 inch recepticles drilled and threaded in the bottom of the 2 inch X 5/8 flange portion of the aluminum piece. Then I would drill and countersink the holes to accept the 1/4 retainers
    from underneath your walnut piece to correspond to the threaded holes in the bottom of the aluminum flange.

Good luck. Looks like a nice tripod. I have seen this on SK Grimes site before although not in Walnut. The Majestic head is a winner in my experience.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    I had an aluminum shaft and abutment built by a machine shop. This is a relatively simple job for someone who has a metal lathe. In your particular case I would look to have a 1 3/8 X 2 inch X the depth of the recepticle + 5/8 inch turned down and three holes 1/4 inch recepticles drilled and threaded in the bottom of the 2 inch X 5/8 flange portion of the aluminum piece. Then I would drill and countersink the holes to accept the 1/4 retainers
    from underneath your walnut piece to correspond to the threaded holes in the bottom of the aluminum flange.

Good luck. Looks like a nice tripod. I have seen this on SK Grimes site before although not in Walnut. The Majestic head is a winner in my experience.
    Donald, thanks for the info. I was looking at the head tonight trying to figure out what to do. I'll check with my local machine shop. Thanks again.

Stay Focused

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald
    <snip>
    picked up a majestic head for a very good price. It has the 1 3/8" collar that attaches to the yoke. Any ideas how best to attach it to my walnut yoke? <snip>

Jim
    Majestic (Bencher) makes an adapter for mounting gear heads on non-majestic tripods ( http://www.spartanphotocenter.com/im...cher/80802.jpg ) Mounting this to your 'pod could be accomplished with a some threaded rod, loctite, a pair of large washers, a nylock, and (if you want to get fancy) a bush to cover the rod where it goes through the wood. Not nearly as sano as a machine shop solution but home brew and most likely less costly. (the part from Bencher is c. 20 $)
    Celac.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Celac, thanks, I will check out that option also. I'm open to all sugestions, thanks

Jim

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Man, that's pretty. Are the legs reversible? I made one out of ash seveal years ago based on Streff's. The cam leg locks of his are a stroke of genius.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can make your own adapter out of Walnut or other hard wood if you have a wood lathe. I would prefer aluminum, but many have been made that work well out of wood.

Charlie..........................................

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Colin, Yes the legs are reversible. I trying to decide what to use on the other end to make it not slide on hard surfaces and look right.

Charlie, I'm looking at all of the possibilities. The walnut looks really good and I might be able to use an adapter on the top and the bottom with a 1 3/8" dowel that I found today to make it all work. I'm doing some experimenting tomorrow. Thanks to all for the ideas. Keep them coming I love it!

Stay Focused!

Jim

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald
    I trying to decide what to use on the other end to make it not slide on hard surfaces and look right.
    Jim
    Hey Jim-something you might want to consider. I got some simple rubber feet and some nylon bushings that would friction fit over the spikes and just slip em on when needed- they work very well
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 06-24-2007 at 10:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham
    Hey Jim-something you might want to consider. I got some simple rubber feet and some nylon bushings that would friction fit over the spikes and just slip em on when needed- they work very well

Colin, those look really cool!! That even gives me an idea! Make the covers out of walnut dowel stock cut to the right angle of course. A black rubber pad on the bottom and it's done. Damn why is it that I 'm always wanting to make something??
    Colin, where did you get those things? Thanks,

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin