Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,470   Online: 876

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A large micrometer would be able to straddle the sides and give you a reading if it is the correct size. This is the only way to be sure of the thickness. You might also look into aluminum sheet stock. Once it is cut, edged and ready, a black anodized finish would be about as good as it gets, although 1/16" might be a tad too heavy for everyday use. It would certainly stop the light.

What was the original material made out of for these slides? Does anyone know exactly what it was? tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that they are Korona holders. The original dark slides seem to be made out of card boards.

Jason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Delrin on my LASER for manufacturing seals like the notary ones in America.

The material I have is 1.5mm thick which is close to 1/16" (I think). Delrin is available to me 0.7mm thick for signage purposes.

There is another really thin version which is 0.2mm thick which is designed for stencils. Generally the stencil stuff is a semi opaque type, but I have seen it in black.

As I'm in Australia and most of this stuff originates from America, you may have a greater range to source.

I would suggest that the 0.7mm Delrin I have would do the job, as long as you are careful sliding 17" without buckling, and therefore risking it snapping.

The really thin stuff (0.2mm) is reasonably flexible and will wrap around 4 litre metal drums easily without any problems

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mick,

Could I cut delrin sheets with a scoring knife? Thanks.

Jason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jason, I just tried a piece of the 1.5mm thick stuff.

At first I didn't think it was scoring, it's a hard material, but after about 5 or 6 runs of the knife, I thought I would give it a bash.

Held the score over the edge of the bench, no problems.

Clean break!

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mick,

Thank you very much for your help. Would you say that 1.5mm is better suited for dark slides than 0.7mm, since you said 0.7mm sheets are easy to buckle?

Jason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jason, I just measured out 430mm which is close to 17", man that's quite long!!

The thicker 1.5mm will not move, it is quite strong laterally, yet I have just given it a bend in my fingers like you do when you are bending back a slightly bent dark slide.

It doesn't stay bent by the way, I just did that to check it's relative lateral strength.

I'm a rubber stamp manufacturer and if any rubber stamp manufacturer in your area has a LASER engraver, chances are they will have some delrin in stock for manufacturing notary seals.

Anyone with a Royal Mark LASER machine would be able to cut your delrin to within 1/600 of an inch accuracy in about 30 seconds.

The Royal Mark LASER was put out by M&R Marking in Piscataway near New York. The brand of stamps and seals are called, "Ideal".

Hope this helps, I'm off to bed now as it's just nearing midnight, see ya!

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jason, I just realised I didn't answer your question, The thinner material would be alright, just. It's rigidity over that length is a bit of an ask, from what I can tell by bending the sheets I have.

I woudl suggest the 1.5mm material would be a better proposition if you can get it to fit into your slides grooves.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonC
    Dan,

I am thinking of using Garolite XX from McMaster-Carr. After spending more time at their site, do you think delrin would work?

Jason.
    Y'know, Jason, the idea of using delrin never crossed my mind. When I looked at my roll holders' fragile black dark slides and started thinking about replacements the idea of reinforced phenolic entered and left room for no others. But if it is opaque enough, why not?

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Jason, for curiosity are you thinking of using Garolite XX? If so, it is available from McMaster-Carr in 1/32", 1/16", 3/32", 1/8", ... Its been a while since I measured my dark slides' thickness, am pretty sure they're all thinner than 1/8". You should probably check a few before buying anything.

Donald, I can't be sure, but I think this is the material used in my Adapt-A-Roll 620s and in my film pack adapters. And no, I don't have any film packs, just the adapters.
    I have used the Garolite XX in 1/16" and 3/32" for darkslides and found it to be very well suited. I have had most of mine precision cut with an abrasive waterjet but it does cut easily by hand with a fine tooth hacksaw or even a coping saw. It is very similar to what I have found in other film holders. It is a composite and with something like a jig saw you might get some seperation at the edges. I suppose with a fine tooth blade a table saw might work fine.

Delrin is qutie a bit denser then a composite like Garolite. it will add some additional wieght to the holder if that is a concern.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin