Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,838   Posts: 1,582,467   Online: 757

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Garolite, not Garlock...OK, I found your previous post. Thank you.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The garolite xx works fine at 11x14 for stiffness. Should be ok for 12x20 with the 12" cross dimension. I think if you go bigger you might need to go with something else. I did make a pair of darkslides for someone restoring a 20x24 camera who had 2 holders but broken slides made of wood. For those I used .063 aluminum had had it powder coated black. He has had no problems.

I am not sure what the garolite is made of, but it is a laminate. From looking at peices I have cut and chipped before going to the water jet it looks like more of a fiber component.

Barry, PM me your address and I will mail you a small sample scrap of garolite xx I have sitting around so you can get an idea of what it is. If I can find them I have a couple scrap pieces of two different fingerstock profiles laying around also you can have.

For the light trap you could use velvet as well I suppose. I went with the felt only because one of the vendors ( I think it was McMaster Carr) had an adheisive backed version in a couple different thicknesses and it was the first one I experimented with. I also took apart an older Kodak/Grafmatic 8x10 (1950s vintage I think) holders and they difinetely used felt as well.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Jason:

I just measured septums on holders from two different manufacturers including one from Gundlach for a Korona. They both measured .070 thick but they are very old and the material looks like fish paper, so they probably were .0625 (1/16th) inch when new.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I just went out to the workshop and cut a corner off the piece of Garolite XX Black that Jim Chinn so graciously mailed to me. Thanks Jim.

The garolite cut on the bandsaw with a fine blade and on the table saw with a regular carbide woodworking blade. I then sanded it on a stationary disk sander and belt sander. It sands beautifully but makes an awful stink.

This garolite material is apparently a type of paper based phenolic. The stuff I finally ordered was also a grade XX paper based phenolic but unlike the Garolite material, this is very slick and smooth like ABS plastic. The Garolite has a textured surface very much like paper. They both saw well and sand well and stink like the dickens during sanding.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin