Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,652   Online: 647

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How to cut Phenolic plastic sheets?

More specifically, how should one cut Phenolic plastic sheets up to 1/8" thick using only hand tools? Thanks.

Jason.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Glass shops use a scribing cutter (similar to a glass cutter)and break them on the score line. One can probably be purchased at the hardware store. I think it depends on what you are making and the accuracy and smoothness required..EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am trying to make dark slides, and maybe some septums for film holders.

Jason.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't think phenolic very good for dark slides -- too brittle (same as Bakelite, though often reinforced with fiberglass, cotton, or linen fibers these days -- sometimes even paper). Unfortunately, the ABS sheet I've seen that was thin enough to fit existing dark slide slots wasn't opaque enough for unlimited exposure (IMO), or that would be the first recommendation (and in that thickness, you can cut ABS with heavy scissors). If you have a TAP Plastics in your local area, I'd suggest visiting them and looking at their sheet plastic stock; you can probably find something that will be opaque enough and much less prone to breaking at the wrong time than phenolic.

FWIW, you can also cut cloth reinforced phenolic with a fine toothed bandsaw or hacksaw as if it were thin plywood, or with a backsaw (as used in high quality miter boxes) applied on the flat face; circular saws or coarser blades applied to the edge are likely to result in unacceptable breakage.

The film sheaths and dark slides in old plate cameras were almost universally steel, and that's a hard material to beat -- opaque even in extremely thin sheets, easy to cut (tin snips or a metal shear, or Dremel with cutoff wheel), easily shaped with low-tech tooling, and it takes and holds paint well. It's also cheap...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The thin plastics I have had occasion to cut responded to scoring deeply with a lino cutter (or a Stanley knife with a hooked blade (http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/P...roductID=16510) ) and then snapping it over the edge of a table.

Have fun, Bob.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    A scouring tool will cut it nicely, use a good metal meter stick for a straight edge....I cut Wilsonex (like Formica for counter tops) this way.

Got mine a home depot...

scour a good deep line and just snap off...

1/8 thick might be a bit much for a darkslide?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jason, for curiosity are you thinking of using Garolite XX? If so, it is available from McMaster-Carr in 1/32", 1/16", 3/32", 1/8", ... Its been a while since I measured my dark slides' thickness, am pretty sure they're all thinner than 1/8". You should probably check a few before buying anything.

Donald, I can't be sure, but I think this is the material used in my Adapt-A-Roll 620s and in my film pack adapters. And no, I don't have any film packs, just the adapters.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonC
    I am trying to make dark slides, and maybe some septums for film holders.

Jason.
    Black vulcanized fibre sheet is the ticket and may be cut with a good sharp exacto knife. Most plastic supply houses can get it for you. It will not be abrasive like a linen phenolic...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the useful information. I am trying to make replacement dark slides for my 7x17 holders. One of my holders also needs to have its septum replaced. I read somewhere that phenolic is the material to use. The dark slides are 1/16" thick, but I am not sure how thick is the septum. That's why I ask how to cut up to 1/8" thick. Thanks again.

Jason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan,

I am thinking of using Garolite XX from McMaster-Carr. After spending more time at their site, do you think delrin would work?

Jason.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin