Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,384   Online: 753

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Availability of 5x4" camera plans

Having been inspired by the recent posting by Argus of the new 5x4" field camera, I have been inspired to build something similar myself.

I have built one 5x4" camera before but it is fairly basic and does not fold up:

I would like to build a lightweight wooden folding camera and I was wondering if there are any plans available.

I'm sure I could eventually work it out myself but the geometry of the folding bed and how to get it all to fold up into a compact space is what is not clear to me at the moment.

Thanks,

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve,

I will reply to your question here.

I don't have any plans but do some good thinking before I start sawing and glueing.
    I think barry young was going to sell detailed plans.

If you want, I have a pdf-file with details of the back, email me to get it.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, here is an even more basic approach I used from a few years ago. Not even a bellows, but it works well enough.... For a good folder, do full scale drawings with the geometry worked out properly. The time spent will be well worth it if you like to tinker. Seems like this may be the case. Nice job on your first camera! Best, tim

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...500&ppuser=936

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Tim.

I have thought about a non-bellows box type camera like yours and I may build it one day (nice woodwork, by the way). I may even have it fixed hyperfocal distance for f22.

In the meantime, I do want to build the traditional folding style of field camera. I think I should have it done (or at least started) by the end of this year. I manage to start lots of things - finishing them seems to be the problem!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Steve, here is an even more basic approach...
    Tim,

You never cease to amaze me!

Great looking camera.

Frank W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's the Vail design, which disappeared from the web last year but lives on in the Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/200503060...ail/camera.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks. That's the sort of thing I was looking for. I'm sure I can modify it to suit 5x4.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    steve,

I was thinking of biulding a 5x4 plate camera as a winter project. how did you get on, did you find suitable plans etc? Any advice most welcome.

Mike
    wmj [at]stamcomms [dot] co [dot] uk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have not started this yet - mainly due to starting too many other things such as an all valve (tube) mixing desk for studio recording which I am building for a friend at the moment.

You should get in touch with Barry Young (as mentioned in an earlier post) as he has some excellent plans for an 8x10 camera which I have not got round to buying myself yet but I think could easily be scaled to 5x4.

The most complex bit is the ground glass/film holder. If you were to start with a ready made unit and build your camera around it you should find it easier.

Obviously I did it the wrong way round. I built the camera first then bought a ground glass back for it and had to modify the camera back for it to fit!

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin