Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,213   Online: 925

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Waterhouse Stop Question

All,
    Say you had a brass projection lens (see where this is going...), that you wanted to put some waterhouse stops in. Where should these sit, in relation to the lenses ? All of the old brass beauties that I have seen in person have the slot in the center of the two lenses, which is well and good as it would make my life easier. However, these were all symmetrical in construction, whereas I believe that the lens in question is asymmetrical (which was my reason for its purchase)
    So, I suppose my question is this: Dependant upon lens design, where should the center of the aperture go ? I took a quick look though 'Modern Lens Design', and I didn't see this noted in the appendix.
    On a side note - Im still looking for a petzval designed lens in the 210-300mm range. This one is about 5.25" in focal length, but it seems to be in excellent condition, and the price was right But, it probably won't have enough coverage for 4x5

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The most efficient location would be the longitudinal OPTICAL Center of the lens.

Good luck - you'll need it in trying to find out where that is.

Otherwise, I'd just put it behind the lens, in the most accessible place.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    The most efficient location would be the longitudinal OPTICAL Center of the lens.

Good luck - you'll need it in trying to find out where that is.

Otherwise, I'd just put it behind the lens, in the most accessible place.
    Ed, all that a stop placed behind a lens will do, for most lenses and certainly Steve's old crock, is vignette.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If there's a slot in the lens, then that is where the stop should go.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    SteveH,

On 4 petzvals I have the aperture is just slightly rear of center. It should be easy enough to open the barrel to get the size, make a stop from poster paper with 3 'feet' that bend 90% to hold it in place, then move it from center and look for pin-cushion =/= barrel distortion. The correct position will give little to no distortion, just measure, mark and cut carefully.

Have fun with it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Good idea. I think Im going to run over to my friend's machine shop and have him make me a quick piece. Im thinking of a basic doughnut, with your foot idea, so I can slide it back and forth to find the best position.
    On a different note, there seems to be a simular thread on the LF board, with something real interesting, here's a link:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=18756

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    S.K. Grimes has a Waterhouse Stops page on their site that shows how they make 'em. It also gives the formula "Diameter=Focal Length ÷ f Number" for stop calculation.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks.....
    But my original question was where to place the waterhouse stop slot.
    As far as the LF discussion goes, that doesn't seem to follow 'd=Fl/fn' kind of thing...But then again, perhaps Im wrong. I suppose fundamentally it should, as 'x' amount of light to hit the film at a given f/stop should be the same, regardless of shape.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most old brass projection lenses I've seen have a small "light baffle" somewhere inside. I would put the waterhouse slot immediately behind this, and consider putting in a second baffle just behind to keep the stops in place.

That baffle is actually part of the construction of a Petzval lens, and sits in the same place that the stop does on those that have one.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin