Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,841   Posts: 1,582,617   Online: 1074

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer
    Jim - one question/suggestion - are you planning on using any screw in threaded inserts to screw a threaded rod or knob into? If so, don't bother with the brass types with the slot cut in one end (got them at Lowes). The brass isn't strong enough and when you get a short way into the wood, one side of the brass fitting shears off. I'm going to have to go with the type of treaded insert that you pound into the hole in the wood. I've used these in cabinet making before and they work much better.
    Not neccesarily, I bought (many years ago) a t-handled tool to insert these and have never had that happen to me since.

erie

(no, I dont' remember where, hell I dont' remember 2 days ago most of the time)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer
    Thanks for the comments and tips so far. It helps keep me motivated seeing more shooters who are interested in my progress.

Robert - my plan all along is to have a taller front standard and transport the camera always in the vertical position. I anticipate that this may be annoying at times always having to change from horizontal to vertical to pack things up (assuming that most shooting will be horizontal), but it is something that I have accepted. However, your comments got me thinking. I have a large fishing gear bag that I sometimes use for my 8 x 10 instead of the backpack. I was intending on using it for the 8 x 20 as well. It looks really big sitting on the floor and I just assumed that it would be plenty large enough for the 8 x 20. I just tried the fit and in the vertical format, the camera is a little too tall to fit. But in the horizontal format, it just makes it. Given that, I think I'll give some more thought to your idea of a "telescoping front standard. A vertical double extension front standard similar to a double extension base on a flat bed camera - why wouldn't that work?

Jim - one question/suggestion - are you planning on using any screw in threaded inserts to screw a threaded rod or knob into? If so, don't bother with the brass types with the slot cut in one end (got them at Lowes). The brass isn't strong enough and when you get a short way into the wood, one side of the brass fitting shears off. I'm going to have to go with the type of treaded insert that you pound into the hole in the wood. I've used these in cabinet making before and they work much better.

Terrance - by the way - I'm 6'-5" so maybe I'm tall enough. The idea for some sort of lock is a good that I think I'll incorporate into the camera back.
    Dan, thanks for the heads up. The last thing I need is for something like that to happen. Someone suggested a steel insert. Any ideas on where you get one of these? Thanks.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim,

I don't know for sure if they have the screw in type steel ones at Home Depot or Lowes. I'll have to do some checking. The "pound in" type they do have because I've used them before. I also use McMaster Carr as my first internet source for parts and pieces. I'm sure that they have them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Our local Ace hardware store carries the steel inserts that screw in, if you have an ace you might check there.

Dave

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker
    Our local Ace hardware store carries the steel inserts that screw in, if you have an ace you might check there.

Dave

Dave & Dan, thanks for the info on Ace. I have several in my area of Southern California. I'm not at the stage yet that I need to get one but I will be soon. I'm sanding the front rail on my 8x20 now and hope to install the gear track and do the finishing soon. I will post some pic's when I get it done. I am working on the base now. I just cut the wood and have to assemble the pieces.

Stay Focused........or Soft Focused!!

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Great idea Robert, mind if I use it? Commercially? Thanks
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hey Jim:

The inserts you seek can be had from Rockler Woodworking at:

http://www.rockler.com/search_result...hreaded+insert

There are six Rocklers in So. CA.

and also at WoodCraft at:

http://www.woodcraft.com/search/sear...hreaded+insert

There ar five Woodcraft stores in So. CA.

Careful, you go into one of the stores and you will HAVE to buy something. I avoid these stores like the plague. They ALWAYS have something I didn't know I could not live without.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung
    Hey Jim:

The inserts you seek can be had from Rockler Woodworking at:

http://www.rockler.com/search_result...hreaded+insert

There are six Rocklers in So. CA.

and also at WoodCraft at:

http://www.woodcraft.com/search/sear...hreaded+insert

There ar five Woodcraft stores in So. CA.

Careful, you go into one of the stores and you will HAVE to buy something. I avoid these stores like the plague. They ALWAYS have something I didn't know I could not live without.
    Barry, thanks for the info. Yes, I've been into the Rockler store on Rosmead Blvd. in Pasadena or Monrovia, it's on the border of these two cities. It is difficult to go in. They have to many things that make me nuts. I could spend way to much money in there. If I go in with tunnel vision and get the inserts then I will be fine. Right, as if that's going to happen!! BTW the nobs look fantastic on the front of the 8x20! Thanks again.

Stay Focused....or Soft Focused!

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Great Jim, glad you are happy with your knobs.

I find it best to send someone to the Rockler store with a list. Saves hundreds even thousands of dollars.

Cheers
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung
    Great idea Robert, mind if I use it? Commercially? Thanks
    Barry, if you're refering to a telescoping front standard. By all means run with it. I was trying to get Ron Wisner to devise something but I wasn't willing to wait on the Wisner lead times. I just had Ron make me a complete front standard using the vertical rails from a 16x20. Now I just roll the short one off and roll the taller one on. I already had the vertical back so making the change on the front standard was nothing. I just put it in the same case with its appropriate back. But that means carrying an extra back and front standard assembly. I'd love to see what you come up with. Good luck, Robert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin