Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,212   Online: 926

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

progress on my 8 x 20

Finally have some progress photos on my 8 x 20. I have completed the back standard assembly and the back frame itself. The two photos show the back standard in the two positions to have the camera either horizontal and vertical. I've encountered a few minor challenges, but nothing major. Two things I've realized since I've gotten this far. First is that "THIS THING IS REALLY BIG". I can't imagine what you real big camera people deal with. Second is that in the vertical format, the top of the camera will be pretty high up there. Removing the dark slide and film holder will be a challenge. I have to think about how tall my tripod will be. Good thing that I'm not vertically challenged.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer
    Finally have some progress photos on my 8 x 20. I have completed the back standard assembly and the back frame itself. The two photos show the back standard in the two positions to have the camera either horizontal and vertical. I've encountered a few minor challenges, but nothing major. Two things I've realized since I've gotten this far. First is that "THIS THING IS REALLY BIG". I can't imagine what you real big camera people deal with. Second is that in the vertical format, the top of the camera will be pretty high up there. Removing the dark slide and film holder will be a challenge. I have to think about how tall my tripod will be. Good thing that I'm not vertically challenged.

Dan, very interresting design on the rear standard. Keep up the great work and let us see the developments. I'm working on the rails for my 8x20. I hope to post some pictures soon.

Stay Focused.....or Sort Focused!

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although it's frightening to do with a $300+ film-holder, I've inserted the film-holder from the bottom the two times I tilted my 8x20 on it's side. I'm 6'-2" and with the tripod up pretty high it would have been a chore to get the dark slide out from the top without unseating the holder. As you're designing your own back, maybe you could design in a positive lock of sort.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    On my 8x20 I just had an extra vertical back made. I roll the one off and the other one on. Takes about 60 sec. to change. But I see that your design is centered around just using one back. Keep up the good work it looks promising.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Get yourself a Strebor (www.strebor.com) case for the camera. When you shoot a vertical, you can stand on the case to pull the darkslide.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The same holds true with the pelican cases. I stand on mine all the time. They're built like tanks

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dan, keep in mind that most 8x20's like mine are built on an 8x10 bed. Now when you go to vertical position the normal front standard for the horizontal 8x20 is not tall enough to get the lens up to the sweet spot of the ground glass. If you make a taller front standard then your camera will not close up when it is in the horizontal position with the taller rails that are meant for the vertical back. I tried using the shorter front standard and a radical bed tilt to get the lens up to the sweet spot in the vertical position but that doesn't work very well either. I had a taller front standard made for the vertical back and solved the problem. But that means two backs and two front standards. But it only takes like I said 60 seconds or so to make the change. I just wanted to point out a few of the problems with 8x20 because it is the only camera to have that big of a difference in formats. (12inch difference in 8 and 20 inches). the small front standard that gives you enough rise for the 8" format will not work for the 20" format. the longer front standard that will allow enough rise for the 20" format will not allow you to close the camera up into the transport position when you have the horizontal back on. Just something to keep in mind as you're designing your's. Good luck

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dan, The ultimate would be a telescoping front standard of some type. where the vertical rails the hold the lens board has height adjustment.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    sorry, that should have read "where the vertical rails THAT hold the lens board"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the comments and tips so far. It helps keep me motivated seeing more shooters who are interested in my progress.

Robert - my plan all along is to have a taller front standard and transport the camera always in the vertical position. I anticipate that this may be annoying at times always having to change from horizontal to vertical to pack things up (assuming that most shooting will be horizontal), but it is something that I have accepted. However, your comments got me thinking. I have a large fishing gear bag that I sometimes use for my 8 x 10 instead of the backpack. I was intending on using it for the 8 x 20 as well. It looks really big sitting on the floor and I just assumed that it would be plenty large enough for the 8 x 20. I just tried the fit and in the vertical format, the camera is a little too tall to fit. But in the horizontal format, it just makes it. Given that, I think I'll give some more thought to your idea of a "telescoping front standard. A vertical double extension front standard similar to a double extension base on a flat bed camera - why wouldn't that work?

Jim - one question/suggestion - are you planning on using any screw in threaded inserts to screw a threaded rod or knob into? If so, don't bother with the brass types with the slot cut in one end (got them at Lowes). The brass isn't strong enough and when you get a short way into the wood, one side of the brass fitting shears off. I'm going to have to go with the type of treaded insert that you pound into the hole in the wood. I've used these in cabinet making before and they work much better.

Terrance - by the way - I'm 6'-5" so maybe I'm tall enough. The idea for some sort of lock is a good that I think I'll incorporate into the camera back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin