Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,297   Online: 844

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Black Nikon Body Touch Up Paint

I was wondering what type of paint can I use to touch up little nicks on black camera bodies like the Nikon FM2N and the F3HP? I noticed that the F3HP surface is not as shiney as the FM2N, so I am guessing they use different paints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Proably different finishes from year to year too.

Personally, I like those nicks on my cameras and the brassing as well. I'd just leave them and chalk the wear up to proper usage!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm with Stephen. I was proud of the hashmarks on my Navy uniform. They also indicated service. Only the image inside the camera is really important, not the appearance of the outside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And, knowing how hard it is to match any finish on any surface, you could make the marks stand out more with a touch up. On a car it may be important to prevent rust, but that's not necessary for a camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is part of the beauty of the very very expensive Black Chrome Leica Camera bodies. They don't chip, but they do scratch a bit.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenS
    Proably different finishes from year to year too.

Personally, I like those nicks on my cameras and the brassing as well. I'd just leave them and chalk the wear up to proper usage!
    I actually like to buy a camera that shows more usage!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    snegron,
    You can use enamel from the local hobby shop. It needs to be thinned a bit to flow evenly.
    The best way of course, would be to disassemble & strip the body before repainting.
    Also the paint you use won't wear as well as the original finish.
    As for the F3 I don't know what they use for a paint, but it's gonna be a bitch to match.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    That is part of the beauty of the very very expensive Black Chrome Leica Camera bodies. They don't chip, but they do scratch a bit.

Rich
    My black chrome M4P, bought new about 25 years ago, looked so bad, so fast, that a friend who was a Leica dealer suggested I send it back under guarantee. I couldn't be bothered -- but when I recently got another black body, an MP (I still have the M4-P) I went for black paint. Yes, it brasses -- but it's a lot prettier!

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    My black chrome M4P, bought new about 25 years ago, looked so bad, so fast, that a friend who was a Leica dealer suggested I send it back under guarantee. I couldn't be bothered -- but when I recently got another black body, an MP (I still have the M4-P) I went for black paint. Yes, it brasses -- but it's a lot prettier!

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)
    Roger,

Sorry to hear your M4P. I know I try to be extremely careful with my Leica R camera bodies and lenses; my cameras still look excellent. I have had 5. My original R4S bought new which was modified to as close to an R4SP as possible (which was sold). The R3MOT bought used (but looked excellent and sold) and the R7 which was bought used. I also have bought both new R4SP and an R8 cameras. I will say that the R4 and later cameras seemed to be finished better than the R3MOT with what appears to be a harder finish than the R3MOT. The R3MOT I would guess was about the same period that your M4P was made and that may be part of the reason as I mentioned.

As I said though the Black Chrome will scratch, but caring for them they can still look excellent. My R4SP and R8 look better than the used R7 which still looks excellent.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are two ways that I use on my Nikons..… Use a fine tip Sharpie marker, and repeatedly “dot” the marks to blend them in. Or get two small bottles of enamel paint at the hobby store—flat black and gloss black—and mix a small amount to get the right sheen. Then apply very carefully with a very fine sable brush, like the one you use to spot prints.
    —Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin