Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,081   Online: 795

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald
    ..... why would I want to remove the gear tracks after I install them? .....
    to repair them when they break, or you .... ? accidents do happen ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Jim,

Just ready to start the day's work on the bed and extionsion rails. Got them glued together yesterday but still need to reinforce the joints. The gear tracks should come in from McMaster Carr tomorrow. Not sure if MC has the best prices, but I had to get a lot of other things (screws, knobs, etc) at the same time and it was just easier to get everything from them. Also, I can order online on Saturday and it's on my doorstep here in Palm Springs on Monday - very fast service.

I've got the design figured out for the "double extension" vertical rising front standard/Lens board. As you know from earlier messages, this is necessary to accommodate enough vertical rise in vertical format and vertical fall in horizontal format. I started cutting out things yesterday while glue was drying on the other pieces, and the completion of the front standard comes next. Hopefully, the beds and front standards will all be done by the end of next weekend.

While I haven't made the ground glass back yet, I have made the rear frame. According to my calculations the back size needs to be just about 11" x 22". The short dimension needs to be a little larger proportionally to accommodate the springs. I've made all my calculations studying my Kodak 2D so I'm 99% sure that I've got everything planned out correctly. I think that your 24" dimension may be a little longer than you will ultimately need. Consider that you might want to handle of the film holder to extend beyond the rear frame of the camera to make removing the holder and dark slides easier (just a thought).

I would suggest that you hold on the back until you have the holder from S&S. Otherwise, there may be something you may need to re-build. I've already built a prototype holder so I pretty much know what my dimensions need to be.

One thing that I'm finding out is that because I'm making the camera rotatable for vertical and horizontal formats, I'm a little worried about stability. I'm making most of the pieces a little thicker and stronger than what they might otherwise be, but I don't want a camera that shakes and wiggles. The one remaining stability issue is how strong will it be with both the front and rear beds attached and the camera extended fully out (36" possible with my design)? I may ultimately need to design stabilizer bars to attach between the front and rear standards to keep things tight.

In looking at Tripods, My Ries J100 backpacker will certainly not be stable enough. I know you have built your own, and I was considering that approach for myself also. However, I started thinking that I don't want my photography career for the next year to be nothing but camera building projects. I actually want to shoot some photographs also. Therefore, I decided to try buying one. Rather than a photo tripod, I picked up a type of surveyors tripod yesterday on Ebay that looks amazingly similar to the Ries tripods. It looks pretty heavy duty. I think that it will be strong enough, but I won't really know until I get it sent to me.

I'm anxious to see your progress photos.

Dan

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    to repair them when they break, or you .... ? accidents do happen ...
    Exactly. Also for refinishing, waxing, cleaing and general upkeep I think you'll be very very glad that you can remove the hardware.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    All right guys I see what you mean. Some times I go a little brain dead!
    Colin, I think the Harbor Freight kit is a great idea. I have the dremel so it should come in handy for other projects.
    Dan, great to hear you are making progress on the 8x20. I think the support bars are a good Idea. I've got the plan done for mine. I too want to be ready to shoot in the fall. I'll use the 8x10 if I'm not finished with the 8x20. I will take your advice on the back and wait till I get the holder and then build. I didn't do to much on mine this weekend because my youngest son was with me. He goes to college in a month and were are spending weekends doing things that interest him. Good idea on the surveyor tripod. I hear they are very stable. I am also using a Kodak 2D for design ideas so the 11x22 size should work for me. Good luck, can't wait to see it!

Stay Focused ....or Soft Focused

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Colin, thanks for the idea on the micro tools drill bits. I decided to check my dremel bits to see if I had anything small enough for the holes I needed, and I did! I drilled as deep as I could and then pushed the brads in the rest of the way with a nail punch and the gear rails are installed! Thanks to everyone for the help.

Stay Focused ....or Soft Focused!!

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Racks, not tracks, they are gear Racks!!!
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No thingamabobs or whatchamacallits?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung
    Racks, not tracks, they are gear Racks!!!
    Barry, remember the part about being brain dead!!! Thanks for setting me straight on those thingamebobs!!!

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    No problem Jim:

Thingamabobs get out of hand sometimes. I have a terrible time keeping my whatsits out of the gizmos. Last time they completely fouled the Garfield Injectors and rusted up the muffler bearings.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung
    No problem Jim:

Thingamabobs get out of hand sometimes. I have a terrible time keeping my whatsits out of the gizmos. Last time they completely fouled the Garfield Injectors and rusted up the muffler bearings.

Right On !!

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin