Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,032   Online: 796

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The latest and greatest...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shutter_timer.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Update...
    I just completed building the circuit (although I haven't completed the pot bank), and it works flawlessly. Im going to be taking it off of the breadboard and soldering it up later this evening.
    I'll post pics then.

Thanks again to everyone for your help !

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Some quick shots before I transfer it over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails timer_pic_2.JPG   timer_pic_3.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats pretty cool. What of the battery arrangement? One big hassle I had with my electronic shutter on my LF was the original battery was expensive and short lived. Fortunately I found it worked perfectly with a couple of AAA cells at a slightly lower voltage than the original. Nice part about that is these are available at any convenience store if they die while out shooting. I mounted the cells in some Radio Shack battery clips on the back of the lens board so the appearance is still fairly vintage. Good luck with yours!
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One suggestion, maybe in a later mod, is the times you have for the speeds. I notice the longest time in the circuit notes is 1/2 second. Will the 555 set for extended time periods? You may want to set up times up to 30 seconds or more for LF work. My electronic times to 32 seconds which is really convenient when shooting stopped down or in low light, especially when dealing with reciprocity corrections.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For the moment, Im using a 9v battery.

As for the final power source, that's still up in the air. I need to get a shutter, then see what solenoid will work on it. Once I have that, I'll pick my power supply based upon what the solenoid needs to operate.
    The timing circuit has a wide latitude in voltages, up to 15vdc I believe. The issue is that you only get 2/3 of that coming out of the chip, at 200ma max. Hopefully that will be enough to toss a relay large enough - we shall see.
    One problem that I may/may not have is throw length of the solenoid. Anyone have a clue as to the throw length of the pneumatic piston on a 3" packard shutter ?

Regards,

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    One suggestion, maybe in a later mod, is the times you have for the speeds. I notice the longest time in the circuit notes is 1/2 second. Will the 555 set for extended time periods? You may want to set up times up to 30 seconds or more for LF work. My electronic times to 32 seconds which is really convenient when shooting stopped down or in low light, especially when dealing with reciprocity corrections.
    I can get a max of about 10mins out of the 555; but I think anything over 30s or so isn't going to be very accurate (10% +/- with these caps). I put the bulb function in there for that purpose; I can just lock my cable release and use a stop-watch.
    Im guessing that 1/15th or so is going to be my real-world max speed (if that...). So that would give me 1/15, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1s; along with bulb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what I can see of pictures of them it'll be a max of an inch.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Steve, an inch or so is about right. I have a packard from an old process camera application that already has a solenoid in place. I have no idea what the voltage was. How would you tell? It's quite a little mechanical action though. Takes a good bit of power mainly to overcome the return spring that re closes the shutter when voltage is removed. You'll be surprised how much work that little air piston actually accomplished. With air, suction re-closed the shutter in most cases so the return spring wasn't necessary. Also nicer for B because you simply drained the air out while the blades were wide open and it stayed open. With electric operation you'll have to overcome a rather nasty return spring the entire time the shutter is open in B. Fine for 28vdc but could be a big time battery drainer in your case. Ahh the frustrations of building a better mouse trap. Did I mention I routinely get 1/25 1/8 1/4 1/2 1+ using nothing but the bulb that the old guys used.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Doesn't Packard make an instantaneous shutter now that works with just the bulb activation?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin