Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,818   Online: 977

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

5x12 holder size

Someone asked about this awhile back but never got any answers, so I thought I'd try again. Does anyone have a 5x12 holder they could measure and give me the dimensions of? I'm just looking for outside measurements without darkslide, dont need 'T' or rib or even thickness, just width x length. Also, if anyone has any 'die-cut' factory 5x12 film the measurements for that would be great as well. Thanks very much for any help.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham
    Someone asked about this awhile back but never got any answers, so I thought I'd try again. Does anyone have a 5x12 holder they could measure and give me the dimensions of? I'm just looking for outside measurements without darkslide, dont need 'T' or rib or even thickness, just width x length. Also, if anyone has any 'die-cut' factory 5x12 film the measurements for that would be great as well. Thanks very much for any help.
    The ones we make (S&S) are 6 6/16" wide and measure 12 15/16" from the end of the holder at the flap end to the middle of the rib lock, which is 3/16" wide. The loading flap is 1" wide.

The inside of frame is exactly 5X12, or just slighly oversize, and it is expected that film will be cut about 1/16" or 1/8" less on both dimensions to fit.

Hope this helps.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 08-19-2006 at 11:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Wonderful! Just what I needed. Thanks a bunch Sandy.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 08-19-2006 at 10:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    The ones we make (S&S) are 6 6/16" wide and measure 12 15/16" from the end of the holder at the flap end to the middle of the rib lock, which is 316" wide. The loading flap is 1" wide.

The inside of frame is exactly 5X12, or just slighly oversize, and it is expected that film will be cut about 1/16" or 1/8" less on both dimensions to fit.

Hope this helps.

Sandy
    The 5x12 film I had cut by photowarehouse a couple of years ago is -1/16 inch on the short side and -1/8 inch on the long side. I haven't shot any of my Ilford film yet.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    The 5x12 film I had cut by photowarehouse a couple of years ago is -1/16 inch on the short side and -1/8 inch on the long side. I haven't shot any of my Ilford film yet.
    Very helpful, thank you. For whatever reaon I was convinced it would be more like a 1/4 short in each direction. I guess (being a carpenter) I'm accustomed to 'nominal' dimensions being on the thin side.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Very helpful, thank you. For whatever reaon I was convinced it would be more like a 1/4 short in each direction. I guess (being a carpenter) I'm accustomed to 'nominal' dimensions being on the thin side.
    Colin,

I assume you plan to build one? If so, remember that the septum in the middle needs to breathe, so make sure you leave some space for expansion and contraction. And of course, don't glue it to the wood.

Sandy

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi Sandy-
    Still not sure if I will actually build the holders or buy them, but have been wanting to build a 5x12 camera for awhile. In the least I wanted to get the rear standard sized right, maybe make the back later down the road. It'll probably get half finished and sit on a shelf for years. But I guess better sitting there than in my head...That's a good point about the aluminum, I tend to forget that it can move as much as wood. Incidentally, I've seen a bunch of references to .040 aluminum for ULF septums, which seems thin, is that what you're using? It sure would help in keeping the weight down, though. Also, what's the lead time for your custom holders? Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 08-20-2006 at 12:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Sandy-
    Still not sure if I will actually build the holders or buy them, but have been wanting to build a 5x12 camera for awhile. In the least I wanted to get the rear standard sized right, maybe make the back later down the road. It'll probably get half finished and sit on a shelf for years. But I guess better sitting there than in my head...That's a good point about the aluminum, I tend to forget that it can move as much as wood. Incidentally, I've seen a bunch of references to .040 aluminum for ULF septums, which seems thin, is that what you're using? It sure would help in keeping the weight down, though. Also, what's the lead time for your custom holders? Thanks again for the help.
    Colin,

We use phenolic for the inner septum, same thing as for the dark slides.

Lead time averages about 3-4 months for items we don't have in stock.

Sandy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin