Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,409   Posts: 1,596,462   Online: 800

Shooter
    35mm

Light leak repairs on Kodak folder bellows

Basically the question is: When is a light leak a light leak?

I am in the process of repairing the bellows on my Grandfather's Kodak Pocket Jr. 1A folder camera and found a method of patching the light leaks. Lots of little pin holes etc. throughout the bellows but wondering how I should be viewing the light leaks. If I look in the back of the opened camera towards the lens (from the film POV) I don't see any light leaks after patching. But when I move the camera around to different angles while I am looking at it I see other pin holes in the folds. Should I be worried about those as well even if they aren't visible from the plane of the film?

The repairs are going generally well but every time I move the camera I see another one--ARRRGGGHHH!

Thanks for your help.
    Wesmore Digital
    www.wesmoredigital.ca

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Put a light bulb inside the camera, and block off both ends. Now view the camera in a darkened room and look light spots.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or if you want to do this in room light, fire a flash off inside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Charlie had the best tips on bellows repairs, perhaps he will see this thread and post to it. I don't remember what he used, but it was the best way to do it. tim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use liquid black artist's acrylic paint for small pinholes. Instead of trying to identify every pinhole, I scrub the paint into all of the interior of the bellows with a soft toothbrush. Don't let thickness build up -- the intent is to just fill the holes.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin