Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,009   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

progress photos of my 8 x 20 camera

I've made some good progress on my 8 x 20 camera. Here are some photos (sorry about the quality, I was in a hurry). So far, the front and back supports, main bed and front, rear extension beds, and the camera back frame are done. I haven't had time to start putting any oil finish on anything yet. Left to go are the camera back, film holders and bellows.
    Last edited by Dan Dozer; 11-12-2007 at 09:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Sweet! That telescoping front is really cool! Nice idea

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Dan, that looks really nice....

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dan, that is going to be a beauty! Can't wait to see it. Keep up the great work . You are almost done!!

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Outstanding work Dan.

Is this design yours?
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Barry,

Thanks for the compliments. The design is mostly mine with a little help from Kodak. I used my 8 x 10 Kodak 2D as a starting point and made changes from there. Not having all the brass hardware that the Kodak has, I have had to deal with the adjustability my own way. The back has built in shift , swing, and tilt. The front has rise and fall. The back is removable/adjustable to work in both horizontal and vertical format. Because of the two formats, the front requires a double extension front standard to get the lens board up high enough for the vertical format.

The one thing that I have found out is that common to the extension bed cameras, when the front and rear beds are attached, they don't really sit firmly enough and exactly parallel to the camera bed. I plan on building two brace pieces to attach to the sides of the bed to straighten everything out for use with long lenses.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer
    Hi Barry,

Thanks for the compliments. The design is mostly mine with a little help from Kodak. I used my 8 x 10 Kodak 2D as a starting point and made changes from there. Not having all the brass hardware that the Kodak has, I have had to deal with the adjustability my own way. The back has built in shift , swing, and tilt. The front has rise and fall. The back is removable/adjustable to work in both horizontal and vertical format. Because of the two formats, the front requires a double extension front standard to get the lens board up high enough for the vertical format.

The one thing that I have found out is that common to the extension bed cameras, when the front and rear beds are attached, they don't really sit firmly enough and exactly parallel to the camera bed. I plan on building two brace pieces to attach to the sides of the bed to straighten everything out for use with long lenses.
    Nice work Dan. Where did you get the idea for the telescoping front standard?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Robert,

The front standard design is my own design. However, it's not really very complicated. It is just two standards instead of one, and one fits inside the other. It is necessary because the difference in center of image height is too great when I change from horizontal to vertical format. With only one standard, I wouldn't have enough rise/fall amount. It could be made to work with only one standard, but the standard would have to be so tall, it might cause problems with stability and when folding up the camera.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer
    Robert,

The front standard design is my own design. However, it's not really very complicated. It is just two standards instead of one, and one fits inside the other. It is necessary because the difference in center of image height is too great when I change from horizontal to vertical format. With only one standard, I wouldn't have enough rise/fall amount. It could be made to work with only one standard, but the standard would have to be so tall, it might cause problems with stability and when folding up the camera.
    Dan, Please go back and read your earlier postings on your progress of your 8x20. You'll see I have discussed it in detail already with you. But no thanks needed. Keep up the good work.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Robert, are you saying you designed Dans standard or that you discussed it?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Dan, Please go back and read your earlier postings on your progress of your 8x20. You'll see I have discussed it in detail already with you. But no thanks needed. Keep up the good work.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin