Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,109   Online: 975

Images

Anyone made their own wooden tripod?

Not sure if this question belongs here or in the large format forum, has anyone got plans to build a wooden tripod or fit a head on wooden legs or adapt a theodolite tripod?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There's an old page on the skgrimes.com site about a home-built wooden tripod. You might have to hunt for it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    I made and used a wooden tripod for years. I put a convention head on it. It was very light, went tall, but didn't collapse very small. It is still around, but not in use. It is of my own design, but not far from the small Zone 6 tripod design that were once made.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I made one that has three leg sections to collapse smaller. Used ash, and stole the cam leg-lock idea from the Grimes website that David mentioned. I really like it alot; took only a weekend. I dont have any plans really, but here are some photos
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 06-24-2007 at 09:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice work, Colin. Looks like a very simple design.

vinny
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Very nice!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I made the same tripod as Colin. Made mine out of Walnut. It's a beast! About 12-13 lbs. but rock solid for the 8x20. Try using google for Camlock Tripod. It was Dick Streffs design, simple and very good. I love mine!

Stay Focused!....or Soft Focused!!!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 07-16-2007 at 09:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Colin and Jim, if you were to put a price on your tripods, what would that be?

Images
    Thankyou for the info, the tripods look great, if I can ever find the time and some seasoned hardwood I would love to make my own. On ebay uk there are two Berlebach German made ash tripods that look to be great value for the asking price. There is something more satisfying about using equipment that you have made yourself so I think I will start looking for suitable wood for the project.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E
    Colin and Jim, if you were to put a price on your tripods, what would that be?

Greg, mine was a labor of love as is my Walnut 8x20. The camera and tripod are from the same Walnut stock and I'd never sell them. I hand sand all my wood with wet diamonds and Watco walnut oil to 800 grit. It's a lot of work with several coats of paste wax for the final finish. I would value my tripod at about $750-$800. This is a total guess. This is the first thing like this I have built as is the 8x20 the first camera I've built.

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin