Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,064   Online: 822

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

#5 Shutter Blues

All,
    I have decided to scrap my electro-mechanically actuated packard in favor of a #5 shutter on my DIY lens project...For two basic reasons. #1 weight savings - no battery pack, no solenoid, no big board to carry around. Plus, I won't have to carry around a bunch of different f/stops. #2 - simplicity. This speaks for itself.
    However, as you all know, these things are HARD to find. So my first question is this - anyone out there have one for sale ??? My second question is - if you have one that isn't for sale, who would be willing to take measurements of it for me, so at least I can cut my lens barrel to fit. This way, at least I can make a dummy spacer for the shutter, and have my new lens barrel functional while I wait to find and install the shutter.

Thanks !

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you check the SK Grimes site, you can find the specs for an Ilex 5 shutter somewhere in there, and it will be more accurate than I can measure.

I'd recommend buying a lens in an Ilex 5 shutter, and then you can use the lens and use the shutter for other things. I've got a 10" WF Ektar, and I had SK Grimes make me a flange that fits my B&L 5x8 Tessar, 12" Dagor and 19" Apo Artar in barrel, so normally I carry the 10", 12", and 19" and some smaller wide lenses with my 8x10" kit. It takes less space than three lenses on boards, and my shutter speeds are consistent for all three lenses.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you check the articles section here, you can find the specs for the Compound #5 shutter. It's at the bottom of my "Bottom-feeder's guide to German Lenses".

Those specs are from a Compur repair manual, so should be close enough
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks guys...
    Here's the thing, did all #5 shutters have the same dimensions ? I need to know the ID, thread pitch, flange-aperture distance, etc. Basically, everything I would need to know to make a lens barrel to fit said shutter.

PS - Ole, the search function is giving me an error...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I believe all #5 shutters are different. While I haven't owned any others than Compound, there are enough differences in the smaller sizes (3 and 4) that I wouldn't trust anything to be equal!

Oh BTW: http://www.apug.org/forums/article.p...stcomment&a=83
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Ole.
    I figured as much....So Im still at a halt until I find something

Shooter
    Large Format
    Steve H,

Ilex manual tech specs for #5 size:

shell O.D. =5.079"
    flange-flange thickness = 1.083"
    front & rear inner thread= 3.000" x 30tpi
    rear mount thread = 3.232"x 30tpi
    rear flange shoulder O.D.= 3.360"
    aperture size= 2.500" >-< .212"

Have fun with it.
    Last edited by phfitz; 01-17-2007 at 12:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Steve, I have a nice #4 Ilex you can have for $195 if you get to that point. Jim
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 2 Ilex #5s and they have different thread pitches in them so be aware of that....
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Again.
    Jim - Im hoping for a #5. If I don't find one by the holidays, then Im just going to do without and try the packard approach. A #4 will make me lose too much of the lens's magic. Thanks, I appreciate the offer though.
    Jeremy - Thanks for the heads up. Again...Im just stuck until I have something in my hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin