Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,470   Online: 962

Shooter
    35mm

Longer screws for Nikon 35mm F2 lens

I have a Nikon manual focus 35mm F2 lens with a problem. The screws that hold the focus ring are not tight and can't be tightened because a previous owner apparently overtightened them and stripped the aluminum threads in the lens body. I removed the ring and threaded the screws into the body, so there are threads left, but they are too deep for the original screws to reach. Does anyone know where I might find screws that are about 50% longer? I only need three (actually just two since one is still intact).

thanks,
    Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might try one of your local hobby shops, they carry a myrid of very small screws for the model car and such, I know our local store has tone of little tiny metric screws that I have used to repair many photographic things in the past.

Are you sure that adding a longer screw through the focus ring won't cause it to bind somehow?

Good luck.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    I didn't think to check there. Thanks.

As far as the binding goes, with the focus ring removed and the screws threaded in as far as they'd go, there was no binding. My only other option is to have the lens rethreaded for a larger screw. With only one screw holding the ring in place, it's only a matter of time before it strips or shears off.

Chris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://www.smallparts.com has a lot of really small screws. Not sure if what you need is metric of numbered, but they do list #0000-160 screws in the printed catalog. The smallest I see for metric are 1mm with a 3mm or 5mm length and a 0.25mm thread pitch.

They also have some "Unified Machine Thread" screws that are 0.5mm to 0.9mm diameter slotted head screws (MMX-05/060 to MMX-09/120) that might be what you need.

I do not see any set screws listed in these very small sizes.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin