Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,386   Online: 1125

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Bellows Design Calculator

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Some time ago I took bellows design calculations from somewhere and forced them into a spreadsheet. This calculates fold width and basic strip width based on the length, width, no of folds and root / crest sizes you input.
    You can use it to model square or rectangular bellows.

Input areas are grey boxes.

Here's my license conditions: I believe resources including design information supporting analogue photography should be FREE. This spreadsheet is therefore FREE for distribution and is not to be re-sold in any form or manner. You may modify it to your hearts content (pm me for protection removal password) but any subsequent software product you make based on this spreadsheet may not be re-sold. Feel free to sell bellows made using the calculator coz I can make my own better than yours anyway

You will need to rename the .txt attachment to .xls for it to work properly.

Disclaimer: I am not a software nerd so don't ask me why your stupid Linux system won't download the fonts or whatever. There were no virii present when I posted this so if you've got one it ain't my problem.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Cheers big ears!
    dogzbum thedogzbum@gmail.com
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for sharing!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dogzbum View Post
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Narrow]Here's my license conditions: I believe resources including design information supporting analogue photography should be FREE. This spreadsheet is therefore FREE for distribution and is not to be re-sold in any form or manner. You may modify it to your hearts content (pm me for protection removal password) but any subsequent software product you make based on this spreadsheet may not be re-sold. Feel free to sell bellows made using the calculator coz I can make my own better than yours anyway [/FONT][/SIZE]

Awesome idea. Thank you.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Narrow]Some time ago I took bellows design calculations from somewhere and forced them into a spreadsheet. This calculates fold width and basic strip width based on the length, width, no of folds and root / crest sizes you input.[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Narrow]You can use it to model square or rectangular bellows.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Narrow]Input areas are grey boxes.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Cheers big ears!

Hi:

What do the variables A, B, C, and D represent?

Thank you
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung View Post
    What do the variables A, B, C, and D represent?
    'A' is rear width, 'B' is rear height, 'C' is front width, 'D' is front height and 'L' is max extension length. Setting 'A' = 'B' and 'C' = 'D' gives a square bellows.

It also helps to set 'L' somewhat larger than you require as the calculator does not take into account:
    • Connection method to front or rear standards; and
    • Inability to achieve max extension without losing folds.

I wanted to make the little diagram in the tool dynamic (based on input parameters) but never had time.

BTW the protection password for the tool is dogzbum. It occured to me that some of you may need to modify it for imperial measurements. Remember though that things are always bigger in millimetres.

I'll be posting another bellows tool soon. Cheers! dogzbum

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you Dogzbum
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    4x5 Format

thanks-

Always great to see people SHARING stuff- having made a dozen or so bellows - ita always good to see how it should be done- thanks again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]
    Disclaimer: I am not a software nerd so don't ask me why your stupid Linux system won't download the fonts or whatever. [/FONT][/SIZE]

Cheers big ears!
    Works fine with openoffice 2.0 under linux, both free, like you prefer your distribution of analog photo info.

Thanks!

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cool calculator - Thanks very much... let the folding begin.
    Tim Flynn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was able to run the program in MS Excel. I noticed in the material needed the length didn't have the unit but the width did have the mm unit. I tried inches in place of the millimeters and it seems to work. Have you checked to see if that works for you? Metric is no problem and it's what I use though.

It's nice to have and I hope to use it soon. I've been making mine in CAD which take a lot of time. I was wondering if the spreadsheet could be used to make a graphic drawing of a bellows side in 2D? That would be super.

Thanks for the work,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin