Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,729   Online: 905

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

5x7" Bellows design and instructions

Here is a 5x7" bellows design (with instructions) that should enable you to make a field camera bellows with little difficulty. The design allows for a 5x7" rear and 3.5x3.5" front standard. This is big enough for most lenses using Copal 0 or 1 shutters. The maximum extension is around 20".

Due to posting limitations the .vsd (Microsoft Visio Drawing) file had to be renamed to a .pdf (Don't bother trying to open with Acrobat Reader). Save the file somewere and rename it to a .vsd extension.

This is FREE for personal use and can be redistributed in original unmodified form. You can of course send me cash, gold or Dimezone-S if you really like it and feel guilty about receiving it for free. :rolleyes:

I take no responsibility for fingers glued together or veterinarian bills related to surgically removing your own / wifes / girlfriends cat or dog from the half constructed bellows. No virus was present in the file when I uploaded it.

Cheers!
    dogzbum
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't open the PDF, says it's badly encoded.

Greetings.
    G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He said it was a renamed Visio drawing, not a real PDF. Rename it to end in .VSD and hope you have some software that can open Visio drawings.

By the way, dogzbum, can Visio export it as a PDF in the first place? I have minimized the number of Microsoft software products I use and have no way to open a .VSD file.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I found something that can convert .vsd files into .pdf but it seems to need this Visio stuff to be able to convert it correctly: http://www.processtext.com/abcvisio.html

Renaming it to .vsd doesn't work for me - it still wants to open Acrobat and maintains it's a bad .pdf file.
    Last edited by Jerevan; 09-29-2006 at 11:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PC users can download a viewer at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

It opens in I.E. and you will need to use Zoom (ALT F6) to read it...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Could you explain why the stiffeners are different sizes? 52 and 53 are much larger than 50 and 51. I've never made a bellows before, so I have no idea why you might need to have the different sizes. Just trying to add to my knowledge base.

BTW: Bob thanks for the viewer!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    There's a nice bellows-making link here that might help with some of the overall concepts if you've never made one before. I've used the basic idea to make straight and tapered and tapered rectangular bellows from 4x5 to 5x12.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Could you explain why the stiffeners are different sizes? 52 and 53 are much larger than 50 and 51.
    Greg, There are two variables in the stiffener sizes. I will try and explain both.
    (1) The longer dimension (call it length) reduces gradually from rear to front. This is because the width of the bellows is greater at the rear than the front. The taper here is from 7" down to 3.5". Hence higher numbered strips from a given side of the bellows (ie 72--> 49, 24-->1, etc) are wider than lower numbered strips.
    (2) The width of the stiffeners is one of two fixed widths. This depends on whether they go towards a crest or root. To reduce the size (from rear to front) of a zig-zag the zag must be less than the zig So you have a small width toward a 'crest' and a larger width toward a 'root'. I cannot really put this into words but an analogy may help. When walking if you go up a little hill then down a big hill then up a little hill, then down a big hill, (etcetera), then you will end up at a lower point than you started at. ( Note that I truly believe the world is flat). I will try and ascii it below. (remember: little 'up', big 'down', etc)

/.\
    ....\/\
    ........\/\
    ............\

............/
    ......../\/
    ..../\/
    \./

Cheers!
    PAUL

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rwyoung View Post
    By the way, dogzbum, can Visio export it as a PDF in the first place? I have minimized the number of Microsoft software products I use and have no way to open a .VSD file.
    Visio can save as nearly everything except pdf
    I tried saving it as jpeg but the file was too large for APUG upload
    I too try and minimise contributions to Mr Gates' overexpansive bank balance but I find Visio is a useful tool that fits in between a painting program and a full blown CAD package.

I recommend downloading the viewer that Bob F. mentioned.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Paul,
    OK, I think I understand (sort of). Until I try to build one I'll probably remain a little foggy. That's kind of the way I do things, foggy idea and make adjustments as I build.

I assume that the size of the larger stiffeners is the difference between the two sizes (front and rear attachments) divided by the number of folds (plus some kind of fudge factor).

I ran across this application over the weekend:
    http://www.cadvance.com/65form.htm
    I haven't received the serial number yet, but it might make sharing designs a little easier for everyone using Windows. And best of all is it's FREE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin