Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,053   Online: 781

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Foam core, duct tape, and PVC make a camera

I decided I wanted to try the Galli-esque pictures with an old lens. I could not find a lens that made sense for my 4x5......they were all too good. I figured I'd make a lens myself (see Primative Photography, Alan Greene). I also wanted soemthing I could contact print with so I made the camera use standard 8x10 film holders ($10 on ebay for 3). All told, I probably had about $30 out of pocket. All the other materials were scrap from work or my shop or from another project (ground glass). I put together a little slide show at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotofish/
    click on the foam core camera set and view it as a slide show. If you click on the picture as it passes, it will display the text I wrote.
    It was completely light tight and worked. A little front tilt would have been quite nice though!

Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I will be the first to say...

...BAD ASS !!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Too Cool!!!

Duct tape is like the force:
    It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Absolutely smokin'!

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nice work!

I think everyone should build their own camera at first. You learn so much about photography in the process. You also appreciate a lot of older camera designs as a result.

What did you use for spring material? Did you attach just one end?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Nice work!

I think everyone should build their own camera at first. You learn so much about photography in the process. You also appreciate a lot of older camera designs as a result.

What did you use for spring material? Did you attach just one end?

I used some stainless strip, drew it across the edge of a table to get the curve, bent the ends with pliers, jammed it into the end shown and glued it in. Seems to work really well. Given the way it is supported, you really don't need much spring force.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin