Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,912   Posts: 1,556,249   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Olympus Zuiko lens repair/service info

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I'm new here and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if there are any Olympus Zuiko lens service/repair manuals available online, or any guides on websites, anywhere? And if not, does anyone sell paper copies? The specific lenses I'm interested in are 50/1.8, 100/2.8 and 135/3.5 - I have one of each and they really could do with internal cleaning.

Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A good place to ask would be the Olympus mailing list. Info on joining can be found at www.zuikoholic.com.

Shooter
    35mm
    A good place to ask would be the Olympus mailing list. Info on joining can be found at www.zuikoholic.com
    That's great, thanks.

Alan

Best to just send them to john at www.zuiko.com and have them done by the best around.

He does great work and I am a satisified customer. Unless you know what you are doing, opening a lens can be a one-way affair.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    35mm
    Best to just send them to john at www.zuiko.com and have them done by the best around.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but his prices are more than the lenses are worth (especially if I add postage from the UK).

Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    oscroft,
    What's the problem with them?
    I know a common problem is slow apertures, usually caused by migrating grease at the rear of the lens. That's usually an easy fix by removing the screws in the lens mount (3 or 4) and cleaning what looks like oil from the available surfaces. After cleaning with rubbing alcohol just make sure the thing is clean & dry before reassembling. I don't remember any particular timing for these lenses but digital snaps as you go along or notes/sketches etc. shouldn't be to difficult for most folks.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    What's the problem with them?
    Both the 100 and the 135 have got slightly cloudy patches behind the front element (I got them both recently, 2nd hand from different people, so it's not caused by me storing them badly or anything like that). I don't have any results developed yet, so I don't know if the image is affected. The 50 (another 2nd hand one, it came with a camera) is very dirty with lots of dust and fungus spots on the elements, so I thought that one would be a good one to try cleaning first as practice, seeing as it's worthless anyway.

Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cloudy patches. Remove the front element. The decorator ring with the lens info will unscrew. It has spanner slots on it 180 degrees apart. You can use a large rubber stopper from the hardware store or take an old pair of needlenose pliers & grind the tips down to fit the slots.
    Once the decorator ring is off you can see if there's another ring holding the front element. If there is you should already have the pliers to fit the slots.
    Remove, clean & reassemble.
    Wheee!

Shooter
    35mm
    Cloudy patches. Remove the front element. The decorator ring with the lens info will unscrew. It has spanner slots on it 180 degrees apart.
    Oh yes, so it has - I hadn't noticed those slots. I think I might actually invest in a spanner wrench (I've also got some old cameras and lenses that would benefit from cleaning, so one would probably be worth having).

Many thanks,
    Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The nice thing about using pliers that are ground down is cost. A good spanner can be $50 or more. Old pliers---Priceless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin