Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,530   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Not to rub salt in your wounds or mine, but I doubt the existence of good MF folders, especially Agfas. Excepting, of course, the expensive fully-restored ones.
    Well, more for us who go past this "common knowledge" about them, and ignored it.

I've read plenty of these opinions about folders being lame, unsharp, leaking light etc etc.

However I did most of my favourite photography with folders this year, so it's all your loss and my gain

I have 3 Iskras, 2 Moskva 5, one Agfa Super Isolette, one Agfa JSolette 5, one Franka Rollfix II, 2 Zeiss Super Ikonta C .... And no light leaks. A friend just sent me his Iskra for a light leak, but I'm already quite sure it's not the bellows...

... http://www.flickr.com/photos/buze/tags/folder/ ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by buze View Post
    Well, more for us who go past this "common knowledge" about them, and ignored it.

I've read plenty of these opinions about folders being lame, unsharp, leaking light etc etc.

However I did most of my favourite photography with folders this year, so it's all your loss and my gain
    A lot of folders don't have coupled rangefinders, and sometimes none at all - which requires "zone focus" and with a normal lens, this can be difficult if you don't stop it down quite a bit.

I have heard good and bad things abotu them - though they seem to be a great option if you want a MF camera that is very portable and won't cost a lot. (Even the restored ones)
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Folders can b ereally good, and couple rangefinders are overrated!
    A Tessar can give excellent results if you know how to use it.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One of my first good pictures was shot with a folding 35mm camera - a Welta Welti with 5cm f:3.5 Tessar lens. Guess focus at 53cm, wide open. I think I was 10 years old at the time.

Since then I've always had a weakness for the small compact folders, both 35mm and 120.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ah flea-bait strikes again. Buy another from a reputable person instead and junk that one or fix it yourself. They are plentyfull and cheap, why spend a ton of money resorecting a dead horse? If the glass on this one is better than the next, swap it out. Soak the shutter in some naptha over night to free it up, it probably needs a good cleaning anyway. Are you looking for a working camera at a reasonable price? I can put you in touch with a lady that has tons of cameras for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonneal View Post
    Hello folks
    To participate in the MF Folder month I acquired an Agfa Isolette that was "excellent" on eBay. The camera's got bad bellows and a bad shutter and the focus is jammed. I have read several articles on restoring folders and think I will be able to get the focus unjammed and the shutter firing again, but the bellow is beyond me.
    Where do you think people like Juergen get their new snappy bellows for these little folders?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Neal
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by buze View Post

I have 3 Iskras, 2 Moskva 5, one Agfa Super Isolette, one Agfa JSolette 5, one Franka Rollfix II, 2 Zeiss Super Ikonta C .... And no light leaks. A friend just sent me his Iskra for a light leak, but I'm already quite sure it's not the bellows...

... http://www.flickr.com/photos/buze/tags/folder/ ...
    Buze, some of us luck out, others don't. I have a small pile of problematic Ensigns, a dud Agfa, a couple of sick Retinas, a dead Bessa 66. Can't speak for you, but clearly it takes me a while to learn from experience.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Most of the folding cameras have been sitting in a box in the garage, attic or cellar and probably will need some kind of work.

With eBay, I expect the worst and hope for the best. I also try to avoid cameras that others have repaired, because they invariably do something bad that you first have to decipher and then try to undo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello folks
    To participate in the MF Folder month I acquired an Agfa Isolette that was "excellent" on eBay. The camera's got bad bellows and a bad shutter and the focus is jammed. I have read several articles on restoring folders and think I will be able to get the focus unjammed and the shutter firing again, but the bellow is beyond me.
    Where do you think people like Juergen get their new snappy bellows for these little folders?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Neal
    Out of curiousity which seller (or how much should I say) the Agfa cost you? When looking up folders online you always want to see if either the seller says it, or if you ask about bellows, shutter, haze/fungi at the least, because most folders on ebay will be in that condition. For minor bellow such as pinholes and such, you can always use bellow cement, or something flexible like electrical tape in little peices on the inside.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    Out of curiousity which seller (or how much should I say) the Agfa cost you? When looking up folders online you always want to see if either the seller says it, or if you ask about bellows, shutter, haze/fungi at the least, because most folders on ebay will be in that condition. For minor bellow such as pinholes and such, you can always use bellow cement, or something flexible like electrical tape in little peices on the inside.
    The name of the seller is unimportant. There are SO many sellers that are selling junk that the sellers who are selling good stuff are the ones to watch for. I paid $10 for the hockey puck and $10 shipping. I left negative feedback, after having received no response to my complaint, and the seller exploded in an angry email.

This camera's bellows were peeling and cracking. This was not discernible in the fuzzy photos. The viewfinder glass is cracked. The shutter is inoperative below a 50th. It's filthy. The camera's description was "excellent" with "clear glass" and "functioning perfectly" from a seller with 100% positive feedback.

I have become disillusioned with eBay. After 9 years and about 100 transactions, the frequency of crappy deals in the last 18 months has escalated to the point that I think I am done with it. When it first started there was something about the community that fostered honesty. Now it seems people are selling crap and hoping to get away with it. And people are reluctant to post negative feedback, because of retaliatory feedback, so they don't tell the truth or they don't post at all. So there are people with 100% positive feedback ratings that have actually sold junk. Anyway, at least in this instance, future buyers will know that this seller's descriptions are too generous.

I now prefer dealing with APUGers. I've bought and sold successfully here because, for now, the close community fosters the same kind of honesty that once existed on eBay. I hope it lasts.
    Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The name of the seller is unimportant. There are SO many sellers that are selling junk that the sellers who are selling good stuff are the ones to watch for. I paid $10 for the hockey puck and $10 shipping. I left negative feedback, after having received no response to my complaint, and the seller exploded in an angry email.

This camera's bellows were peeling and cracking. This was not discernible in the fuzzy photos. The viewfinder glass is cracked. The shutter is inoperative below a 50th. It's filthy. The camera's description was "excellent" with "clear glass" and "functioning perfectly" from a seller with 100% positive feedback.

I have become disillusioned with eBay. After 9 years and about 100 transactions, the frequency of crappy deals in the last 18 months has escalated to the point that I think I am done with it. When it first started there was something about the community that fostered honesty. Now it seems people are selling crap and hoping to get away with it. And people are reluctant to post negative feedback, because of retaliatory feedback, so they don't tell the truth or they don't post at all. So there are people with 100% positive feedback ratings that have actually sold junk. Anyway, at least in this instance, future buyers will know that this seller's descriptions are too generous.

I now prefer dealing with APUGers. I've bought and sold successfully here because, for now, the close community fosters the same kind of honesty that once existed on eBay. I hope it lasts.
    Neal
    I only ask because my store sold a Agfa Ventura III (looks just like an isolette to a degree) that went for over 300$ despite myself making it very clear in the auction that the camera had a number of pinhole leaks in the bellow, and broken rangefinder knob, etc. Our ebay ID is thecameracenter , just wanted to make sure you wern't THAT buyer lol, tho seems everyone was clear of the condition of the camera, but for some reason the agfa stuff was in season.

As far as seeing more and more 'crappy deals', there are also a much greater deal of people using ebay over the years, both good and bad. It requires more effort on both parts now days to find exactly what you want, including asking a number of questions.

I also wrote this article to help avoid possible scams or traps on ebay, with some common red flags. http://www.thebokeh.com/-article/21/
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin