Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,468   Posts: 1,570,820   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Bad eBay MF Folder purchase-Bellows source?

Hello folks
    To participate in the MF Folder month I acquired an Agfa Isolette that was "excellent" on eBay. The camera's got bad bellows and a bad shutter and the focus is jammed. I have read several articles on restoring folders and think I will be able to get the focus unjammed and the shutter firing again, but the bellow is beyond me.
    Where do you think people like Juergen get their new snappy bellows for these little folders?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Neal

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Last edited by André E.C.; 10-22-2006 at 10:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    thanks. guess i will have to make them.

Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not to rub salt in your wounds or mine, but I doubt the existence of good MF folders, especially Agfas. Excepting, of course, the expensive fully-restored ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it'll probably be cheaper to buy a good one from Jurgen
    I was lucky to buy one in great shape from an APUGER

but it is hard to find good one sin ebay
    the ones from before the war are the best since the bellows is leather and that lasts longer
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonneal View Post
    Hello folks
    To participate in the MF Folder month I acquired an Agfa Isolette that was "excellent" on eBay. The camera's got bad bellows and a bad shutter and the focus is jammed. I have read several articles on restoring folders and think I will be able to get the focus unjammed and the shutter firing again, but the bellow is beyond me.
    Where do you think people like Juergen get their new snappy bellows for these little folders?
    Neal
    You could do it yourself or you could have Jurgen (www.certo6.com) do it, or just buy one from him.

Folders are touchy and don't age very well - sounds like you got scammed - I hope you left appropriate feedback!
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello folks
    Neal
    Juergen makes his own bellows.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://stores.ebay.com/frendakfurnar...Q3amesstQQtZkm

This seller use to post lots of new old stock unused bellows. I think many were Kodak items, though with a little trimming fit nicely on an AGFA or Balda. I bought several 6x9 sized bellows from him to restore some of my folder cameras.

http://stores.ebay.com/Genuine-Japan...Q3amesstQQtZkm

Some tools and general items. Choices vary a bit each couple weeks. Grease is proper type for focus repairs. You can also try MicroTools.com, though more expensive.

If you can find a block of Sorbathane or similar rubber pad, that can give you the leverage to pull apart the frozen lens cell part. Sometimes soaking in 99% alcohol can unstick the old grease. Worst case for me was soaking in alcohol, then lighting the assembly, which causes the alcohol to get sucked in between the elements; after several repeats and trying to unscrew the elements with a rubber pad, they finally came undone; then I was able to clean everything and reassemble.

Some websites might list using pliers or even a screw on clamp to unstick the frozen focus ring. Doing that gives an easy method of causing damage. It might work for you, but it is higher risk than using the friction of a rubber pad for uncrewing the frozen parts. Another good pad source is an artist supply store that has a rubber pad to use for screen printing.

Shutters usually only need light exercising, or light cleaning. If it is beyond that, missing parts, or has something broken, try to get another lens/shutter unit.

I doubt many folder cameras are in good shape anymore on EBAY. They might look okay, or display okay, but using them is another matter. All the ones I have required restoration in order to function, though they now still work great (oldest is a 6x9 restored five years ago).

Last idea I have for cheap bellows is a Polaroid camera. These usually have a sythetic bellows that is really tough and usually in good shape. If you go this route, the bellows are larger than you need, so cutting the entire thing down to size would be necessary.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello folks
    Neal
    Don't know where Juergen gets them, but Camera Bellows in the UK (www.camerabellows.com) will do them for you and have a good reputation.

Cheers, Bob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin