Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,616   Online: 800

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

5x12, there and back again!

I thought I'd post my results to encourage others to try this wonderful format. I just returned from a three week trip around the country with it, and now I want to shoot nothing else. Very portable- it fits in a mountainsmith odyssey backpack with 4 holders and 3 lenses and feels about the same as my 4x5 outfit. I made it from mahogany to keep the camera under 10 lbs and the holders at about 12 oz each. There's die-cut film from J&C available for it- Ilford fp4+; hp5 and aslo adox/efke PL100, which are about the only films I use anyway- also the price is roughly equal to 8x10 so it isnt too exorbitant. Also, most lenses for 8x10 will cover as the diagonal for 5x12 is only 330mm. While not a true ULF the size is wonderful for contact printing and the negatives are still relatively easy to handle ( I was able to load holders on my lap in dark hotel bathrooms). I made eight holders mainly because I didnt want to have to change out the film too often but I'm really glad I did because tool setup was the most time-consuming aspect of making them. I wanted to thank Barry Wilkinson for providing some timely dimensions from his Canham 5x12 (I stole many ideas from Canham and Lotus- thanks and sorry!) and also Sandy King and Barry Young for info on making holders. I was agonizingly nervous for the past three weeks since I only had time to test 2 exposures before we left but I just got finished developing the 'normals' and everything looks good.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 06-24-2007 at 09:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That's a great looking little setup, there!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good to see another 5x12 shooter here! It is a wonderful format and is primarily the format I've been shooting for the last five months.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow!! Nice looking camera and holders. Great job. Now, let's see the pictures!
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2013 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks absolutely superb Colin, I'm very impressed. Welcome to 5x12 it's a great format as you have found. Glad to have helped.

Best regards

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Colin,

Looks like a beautiful camera and holders. Use them in good health. Look forward to seeing some results.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Images
    My dream format. Nice job.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks for the comments. Now, to make a bigger contact printer! I wonder, does anyone know a source for odd sized trays?
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 11-09-2006 at 02:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Colin:

It is truly amazing what can be done by a motivated person. Hats off to you for producing a fine camera. Very very nice work.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Colin,
    How big are you planning to print? I use an 11x14 contact print frame to make my prints. I use 12x16 trays to process the prints in. I use an 11x14 tray for a final film wash when I develop my film.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin