Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,755   Online: 830

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Homemade camera lens?

This may sound a little off the wall, but I'm designing an 11 X 14 variable focal length pinhole camera that I'm thinking I may want to put a lens on some day, but I don't want to invest a lot of money in it, and my knowledge of optical imaging is pretty weak, I'm afraid. Anybody know of a good web site I could go to to see how somebody built their own large format camera lens?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No, but there is a book that discusses the matter called "Primative Photography."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Alternative and Adapted Process Forum at www.f295.0rg occasionally discusses this topic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Jim, had a gander at the f295 site, and I changed my mind. If I ever decide to put a lens on my camera I'll just buy one. That was more information than I ever wanted to know! What the heck is a diopter? Never mind -- I don't really want to know...

Shooter
    35mm

aerial telephoto lens

I just read an article about a man building a 16X20 camera using the front half of a 30" aerial telephoto lens. I wonder how large in format a 24" lens would go? Saw one for sale at a local flea market but it's priced kinda high to just buy to find out... anybody have a guess?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    rob-

a 24" lens SHOULD cover at least 11x14. It really varies dramatically on optical design. There are some out there that don't cover much more than 11x14- there are some that cover 20x24 with movement. I have a 600mm (24") Apo-Germinar that will cover 12x20 with mild movements. The 24" Apo-Artars may or may not cover 12x20. It also depends on your definition of coverage... to some folks, even illumination is sufficient; for others, it must be fully-detailed resolution equal to that on the optical center.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Rob -
    Give building your own a go. I got an old Ansco 8x10 with no lens - figured I could pick up a lens cheap :rolleyes: After recovering from sticker shock, I decided to try to build one, following the basic instructions in Alan Greene's "Primitive Photography." If I can do it, anybody can. The first one worked so well, I decided to build a couple of more - just finished a 500mm Stenheil Periskop. Here's the first one - a simple 400mm landscape lens:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semeuse View Post
    Hey Rob -
    Give building your own a go. I got an old Ansco 8x10 with no lens - figured I could pick up a lens cheap :rolleyes: After recovering from sticker shock, I decided to try to build one, following the basic instructions in Alan Greene's "Primitive Photography." If I can do it, anybody can. The first one worked so well, I decided to build a couple of more - just finished a 500mm Stenheil Periskop. Here's the first one - a simple 400mm landscape lens:
    I can second this. I made a symettrical lens and it was pretty darn easy. I just ordered some more lens elements from:

www.anchoroptics.com

If you don't want a fully featured lens (iris, shutter, ultimate sharpness), this works quite well.

Mark

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've been trying out various old lenses, and was surprised by how sharp pictures it's possible to get from a simple meniscus! With two menisci combined to a Periskop, it's pretty darned good!

I've tried my meniscus "Satz" - 15 to 75cm focal lengths in 10cm steps - both singly and combined, as well as a Voigtländer WZ 180mm symmetrical Periskop. At full aperture they're "pleasingly soft", stop down to f:32 and it's hard to tell the difference from e.g. an uncoated Protar!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

The center is very sharp, as Ole said. The lens consists of an achromatic meniscus, just placed into a barrel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin