Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,496   Online: 1075

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Beseler 23C 4x5 modification, DIY LED head

Hello folks,

I'd like to share a modification to a Beseler 23C I've made to make it a very compact and light weight 4x5 enlarger. I've also made a LED head for it that may be interesting. I wanted to detail and show my decision process along the way, so I created a webpage with text and photos describing what I did. It can be seen at:

www.deadbread.com/crumbs/23c.html

I'd be very interested to hear any thoughts or suggestions!

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow! That's very impressive! Can you give me an idea of the total time and parts costs? I might search for an old 23C....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Danny, that's brilliant!
    A very useful source of info for all of us DIY-ers

I think I can even see a 5x7 enlarger built this way....
    Hmmm...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Paul - from beginning to end, about a month and a half. It took awhile as there were several delays for shipping time and backorders for parts. If everything was immediately on hand, I'd say about four days. The biggest time consumer was milling out the negative stage - a full day. The rest was a snap in comparison.

As for costs, I spent about $700. It would be substantially less if you already had a lens, existing enlarger, etc. My costs were higher as I bought a lot of brand-new parts. Considering a brand-new 4x5 is upwards of $1600 and is far bulkier and heavier than my modified 23C, I didn't think it was too bad.
    Last edited by konakoa; 12-03-2006 at 07:14 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: The fingers and the mind don't always match!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I neglected to mention printing times. With the lens at f/11, 8x10's are around 5 seconds. 11x14's in 7 seconds. Those times are with VC filters in place. The LEDs are bright!

If the photographs on the site aren't clear or anyone needs a more detailed view, please contact me - I'd be glad to provide larger photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Spence View Post
    Hello folks,

I'd like to share a modification to a Beseler 23C I've made to make it a very compact and light weight 4x5 enlarger. I've also made a LED head for it that may be interesting. I wanted to detail and show my decision process along the way, so I created a webpage with text and photos describing what I did. It can be seen at:

www.deadbread.com/crumbs/23c.html

I'd be very interested to hear any thoughts or suggestions!
    Hello,
    What a superb idea. I wouldn't think it would work but there it is. I do have a small suggestion if I may:
    If you would like the leds to go out immediately, put a switch between the power supply and the leds. There is a component in the power supply (called an electrolytic capacitor) that will store some voltage for a while.Bypass this and the leds go out immediately. Just in case no one else has suggested this.
    paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not counting a switch and the materal to build the housing's case, the materials for a 6x6 unit for my Beseler 45MXT comes to about $140. Wow.

How would one operate the 12 volt line via a timer, rather than a switch if the timer is passing 115 volts? Since plugging the ac adapter into the timer would have the capacitance issue....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Spence View Post
    The delay with the LED's turning off can be fixed with a relay. Get a 120V 60Hz coil relay from Radio Shack and wire the relay contacts between the LEDs and the power supply. Leave the power supply plugged into the wall all the time, it won't draw any power if it is disconected from the LED load.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    The delay with the LED's turning off can be fixed with a relay. Get a 120V 60Hz coil relay from Radio Shack and wire the relay contacts between the LEDs and the power supply. Leave the power supply plugged into the wall all the time, it won't draw any power if it is disconected from the LED load.
    Then the relay is connected to the timer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Danny, do you think the strips could be cut in order to arrange them for a 5x7 head? Or do you think that your design could be added to by putting extra strips around them?

Curt

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin