Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,038   Online: 1007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is needed is a list of the rack and pinion sizes of the old cameras. I know how frustrating it is to find a replacement without having to send it in to a camera repair for replacement or just experimenting by buying and guessing.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Having tried to replace just a rack or just a pinion on an old Fluffanduff or six, I heartily recommend that you replace the racks and pinions as complete sets. Here is why.

1. The pinion you replace will have worn the rack that you do not want to replace. Even if you do get the correct pitch and pressure angle (all other dimensions including tooth depth will only affect the spacing between the rack recess and the pinion shaft) the new pinion may not mate with a worn rack worth a hoot, and vice versa if you are replacing a rack.

2. While not always true, it is likely that if the pinion or rack is worn, so is the part it mates with.

3. Your chances of success on this job go up astronomically if you replace all racks and pinions at the same time.

4. If the camera is not worth $100 worth of racks and pinions why are you wasting your time on it?

5. Don't replace racks and keep old pinions you can replace for $8, that is false economy. I would replace an $8 pinion to save a $50 rack but only if I were 100% certain that I knew what I was ordering and that it would fit and that there was no wear somewhere along the rack. If you replace the whole set you have no worries except fitting the new racks and pinions to the old slots and shafts or making new slots and machining the new pinions to fit.

Best of luck
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Also, you don't want to use an aluminum rack and a brass pinion, they will gall in a heartbeat. You want the parts to me of the same hardness so one side won't wear unduly..EC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And steel rusts, so that's why brass may be best, are at least aluminum for all the pieces.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good alternative is the nylon rack that stock drive sells, the only downside is 12" lengths, with brass pinions, it's very smooth, and it's very reasonably priced.

erie

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
    Thanks again everyone. So...uh...anyone have any spare rack for a folmer schwing 8x20 laying around? I will give it a good home!!
    I just finished building my 8 x 20 and got the gears and gear racks from McMaster Carr. They don't have brass so I got mine made from steel. The cost was about $50 - $60 for two gears and 4' of matching rack.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    I just finished building my 8 x 20 and got the gears and gear racks from McMaster Carr. They don't have brass so I got mine made from steel.

Hey Dan, I buy racks and pinions from McMaster Carr all the time that are made from brass. Maybe you wanted a different pitch or pressure angle than I use?
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung View Post
    Hey Dan, I buy racks and pinions from McMaster Carr all the time that are made from brass. Maybe you wanted a different pitch or pressure angle than I use?
    Hi Barry,

I've found out a couple of times before that using the McMaster Carr website, you sometimes don't get all the alternatives to certain parts and pieces. That may have been what happened to me - the only ones I saw were either steel or nylon.

Thanks for the info,

Dan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    Hi Barry,

I've found out a couple of times before that using the McMaster Carr website, you sometimes don't get all the alternatives to certain parts and pieces. That may have been what happened to me - the only ones I saw were either steel or nylon.

Thanks for the info,

Dan

Hi Dan:

the brass pinions and racks are near the bottom of page 1013.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get my brass rack and pinions at McMaster Carr and they are made by Boston Gear. Very nice, exact, precision set worth every penny.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin