Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,927   Online: 1207

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

I got a Polaroid 110B in superb conditions

Hello,

I just received today from UK a beautiful Polaroid 110B. Looks almost new, the viewfinders are very clean and the rangefinder appears to work properly. Mounts an Ysarex 127mm and prontor svs shutter works very fine.

I'm not familiar with this camera but I want to modify it to fit 4x5" film holders!

I got an extra polaroid back for practice work (one of those backs made for graflex cameras; the back is identical to the 110B back).

First totally silly question: I opened the camera and I understood the knob on the front allows focusing. But the lens doesn't move very much. The bellows and the rails should allow much more movement. I guess once opened the camera one has to set the lens in position. How?

cheers from Italy
    Last edited by Fulvio; 03-02-2007 at 03:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ok, I figured that out... but I'm not sure it's the right way of doing it... Do I have simply to pull the lens assembly? Then it just stops where the fixed infinity stops are...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    here are some pictures of the extra back...

I wonder if I can use a portion of it to make the 4x5" insert (to widen the back of the 110B to the 4x5" format). The two backs are perfectly symmetrical.

I don't have plans to put a 4x5" graflock back on the top as I don't have one and prices on ebay went too expensive (nearly 100$ when you can purchase a whole Graflex for 200-300).

But I have this idea of using two springs designed for furniture doors. I will just saw them and attach to the finished back to press the holder tightly to the camera.

I would like some help, I never did such conversion and I'm scared to ruin such beautiful camera...
    Last edited by Fulvio; 03-05-2007 at 08:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another close up of the extra back
    Last edited by Fulvio; 03-09-2007 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one of these which I hope to convert to 5x4 too. When I get round to it I may post some pictures.

They can easily be converted to 120 roll film too. I have done one of the lesser models - a 160. There are some details here: http://www.f295.org/DIYforum/cgi-bin.../m-1146826169/

There is a picture near the top then some details a bit further down.

And some pictures taken with it here: http://www.f295.org/DIYforum/cgi-bin...?m-1147097093/

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    nice job and nice pictures too! This camera is indeed great. I wonder why they didn't make any more of them, that is more large compact rangefinders...

but I want full 4x5". I already shoot 6x9 with an old zeiss junkie. I like large format but even with a relative small graflex folding camera it takes much time. Mine is a Super Graphic without a working rangefinder, so I have to use ground glass to focus and compose the picture and that makes things as long as any other view camera. Even on the best Crown Graphics, the rangefinder isn't as good as this one I found on such Polaroid! This camera modified to 4x5" would really kick ass for travel and people photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I disassembled the 4x5 spacer in the other polaroid back

If fits perfectly the 110B inner back. I really have to use this for making the new 4x5 spacer.

Before going any further and hacking the 110B I would like to hear the opinion of some expert who went thought into this already
    Last edited by Fulvio; 03-09-2007 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    You want to talk to the "Razzle" guy:

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/index.html

He does conversions to order, but also has put together a CD with tips and photos.

Good luck with your project!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That conversion is probably fairly priced, but way too expensive for my pockets. I paid 130£ including shipping for this camera and I'm not going to invest more money on it.

I don't think the conversion is an hard task, I just need some hints. In fact when I'll finish I could make a PDF and put that on the internet to help the community in return.

I also have the CD from Jones, but it contains just random pictures (many already posted over the internet), no actual instructions. You can get some ideas from it. For example, I need to understand how thick the spacer should be. The CD doesn't make that very clear... 19mm, 21mm, 24mm... 1/2 inch... I have some clue on how to adjust the infinity focus, but no sure instructions.
    Last edited by Fulvio; 02-23-2007 at 09:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

update

ok... the back was disassembled and the polaroid assembly removed

Funny, now I have two backs
    the graflex/polaroid back is identical to the one of the 110B (see pictures)

I got this spacer from that back, which has one aperture for 4x5" and it's flat on one side, so I could use this for making the spacer between the old focusing plane to the new one to fit 4x5 holders.

It's thickness is about 4cm, too tall! Should I cut it down as much as close tot he camera hinged door? (the one on the right in the picture).

I'm going to use the standard ysarex 127mm lens for this project. Where should be the new focusing plane?
    Last edited by Fulvio; 03-09-2008 at 04:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin